List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

Draft combine invites released

From a total of 65, 10 are from WA including Champion

Interesting that Adelaide F/S, Tyler Welsh, didn’t get enough nominations to earn a national combine invite so will only be at the SA combine

The WA nominees

Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Cody Angove (Claremont)
Jaxon Artemis (South Fremantle)
Malakai Champion (Subiaco)
Hamish Davis (Claremont)
Clancy Dennis (Claremont)
Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth)
Will Hayes(Claremont)
Aiden Riddle (Claremont)
Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)

Tigers got good representation in that list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We lack leaders and hard workers in that 25-29 range which is important for the push forward and Waterman is exactly that. We lose those kinds of players then we are in big trouble for a longer term then you think.

Barrass is a gun but at 29 and in contract we can extract some quality picks and not upset the team balance to drastically.

Ridiculous to even compare the two, Waterman has been a top 3 forward in the comp this year with a horrid midfield. Tom McDonald was above average in a premiership team.

Excited and very happy to be proven wrong but absolutely not holding my breath for the future forward line built around Jake Waterman.

Can't believe some people in here wanting to enter Melbourne circa 2010 and trade/get rid of every senior player so we can face a decade of shit.

We need to move some on/out, but getting rid of Oscar Allen? My god.

Excited and very happy to be proven wrong but absolutely not holding my breath for the future forward line built around Jake Waterman.

The current forward line is, and is not performing too badly considering how poor we are in midfield.

I think many forget quite how much of a luxury it is to have 2x 40+ per year goalkickers in a side.

Only Carlton, then maybe Essendon, GWS and Sydney look like having that this year.

Brisbane (3x), GWS (2x) and Geelong (3x) had it last year

5 teams in 2022, 5 in 2021, 2020 none due to short season, 2 in 2019, 5 in 2018

Note finals goals are included (not a Coleman list).

Unsurprisingly the teams that make the list are generally finalists and more often prelim or better.

Can Jake kick 40+ if Allen does? Not sure, but outside of an offer too good to refuse I hope we get to find out in 2025

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't believe some people in here wanting to enter Melbourne circa 2010 and trade/get rid of every senior player so we can face a decade of shit.

I agree on the Oscar Allen part, but when it comes to Waterman and Barrass I'm looking at it more like, our midfield provides next to no service inside 50 and are absolutely horrible defensively so we're already getting pumped with these players in the team so why not make the most of their trade value now?

We're the most poorly built list with the worst possible draft hand. The Dockers are premiership favourites and have like three picks in the top 16. It boggles the mind that we never attempted to try and move players on earlier.

Draft combine invites released

From a total of 65, 10 are from WA including Champion

Interesting that Adelaide F/S, Tyler Welsh, didn’t get enough nominations to earn a national combine invite so will only be at the SA combine

The WA nominees

Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Cody Angove (Claremont)
Jaxon Artemis (South Fremantle)
Malakai Champion (Subiaco)
Hamish Davis (Claremont)
Clancy Dennis (Claremont)
Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth)
Will Hayes (Claremont)
Aiden Riddle (Claremont)
Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)

Surprised but happy Charlie Burke didn’t get an invite, would love him with a late pick to solve our wing issues. Think he has a lot of talent.

Cashing in on Barrass is a must for me, whilst moving guys like Liam Ryan and Bailey Williams would be beneficial too.

I still believe cashing in on ONE of Waterman or Allen is smart, but I know I’ll be in the minority on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose Barrass and keep Waterman then all our mature A grade talent that's not close to retirement is sitting in the forward line with 30+ year olds and kids trying to get it to them.

Doesn't really make sense.

The Dockers are premiership favourites

Really - I must have missed something The Purples premiership favourites- so they have now jumped ahead of both Sydney and Brisbane - we I will be darned.
And they have seemingly eclipsed Carlton, Geelong.
The Dockers are premiership favourites and have like three picks in the top 16. It boggles the mind that we never attempted to try and move players on earlier.

Yeah BUT the Violet Crumbles haven’t attempted to move players on - the players leave on their own accord and request to be traded out of the non - achievers.

Every year they have players that request out:

Weller
Hogan
Lobb
Langdon
Cerra
Schultz
Meeks
Henry
Acres
Logue
Hambling

That’s half a team right there, hardly a glowing endorsement for stability and commitment to the cause.

29, definitely won't be around next time we're contending and still clearly has enormous value. It's a no brainer

Waterman I'm much more 50/50 on. He's young enough that he could be around for quite a while yet. Unless the offer is too good to refuse I'd keep

Ryan is the other one that would have value that I'd look to move on, even though he's probably my favourite player to watch.
There’s a bit of contradiction in many people saying Waterman has plenty of years left and the tendency for our players to fall of a cliff after 30/31.

Cashing in on Barrass is a must for me, whilst moving guys like Liam Ryan and Bailey Williams would be beneficial too.

I still believe cashing in on ONE of Waterman or Allen is smart, but I know I’ll be in the minority on that.
Issue is that ideally we'd look at potentially retiring Gaff, Sheed, and Cripps, then throw in trades of B Williams, Barass, Waterman, Ryan and maybe Allen.

Counter that by bringing in English.

If did all the above as some seem to like we'd gut the experience from our team. Would be years of pain.

Last edited:
Really - I must have missed something The Purples premiership favourites- so they have now jumped ahead of both Sydney and Brisbane - we I will be darned.

Yeah BUT the Violet Crumbles haven’t attempted to move player on - the players leave on their own accord and request to be traded out of the non - achievers.

Weller
Hogan
Lobb
Langdon
Cerra
Schultz
Meeks
Henry
Acres
Logue
Hambling

That’s half a team right there, hardly a glowing endorsement for stability and commitment to the cause.

None of those are really big name players, but freo did well getting some half decent picks for them (luck really)

Who wouldnt trade weller for pick 2
Hogan just had to get out of perth, glad to see him turn his life around
Lobbs a cry baby mercenary, who just chases the money.
Langdon & cerra wanted to go home
Schulz has spudded it up (like mayne in the first few seasons) at collingwood, and will likely result in the purples getting a top 10 pick in this years draft.
Meek was sitting behind hodor & smashed crab - wanted more opportunity
Henry was meandering through a career and really only pulled his finger out once he decided he wanted out.
Acres was lowballed, and has been pretty serviceable at carlton.
Logue similar to acres, but did that ACL at norf and has just resumed.
Hambling, injured all the time.

If we want to completely ruin our culture for draft pics, then we would have:
  • not resigned yeo to a long term deal this year
  • pushed out gov & barass a few years ago
  • Cash in on waterman this year OR traded out allen last year?
  • Shop liam ryan out this year

The barass situation is plain weird. Is our vice captain, and probably should have been our sole captain. will be sad to see him go but if he wants to go and we can capitalise on his demand then hopefully its a win-win situation. I just dont want our club to turn into clubs like the hawks that push people out the door once there is no need for them.

Issue is that ideally we'd look at potentially retiringon Gaff, Sheed, and Cripps, then throw in trades of B Williams, Barass, Waterman, Ryan and maybe Allen.

Counter that by bringing in English.

If did all the above as some seem to like we'd gut the experience from our team. Would be years of pain.
If we lost that many mature age players then Baker looks a lot more likely. We won't lose both Allen and Waterman.

Baker, English and spend big on an offer to a free agent that's too good to refuse.
Trade in 1 or 2 fringe mids like Dev or Carrol for very late picks

That's 4-5 players in their 20s who are all best 22 or very close to it plus a bunch of 1st and 2nd rounders to replace 4 best 22 guys and 3 retirements that you've listed.

Not the end of the world

Yeah BUT the Violet Crumbles haven’t attempted to move players on - the players leave on their own accord and request to be traded out of the non - achievers.

Weller
Hogan
Lobb
Langdon
Cerra
Schultz
Meeks
Henry
Acres
Logue
Hambling

That’s not really true, a lot of those guys Fremantle were more than happy to see leave hence why they lowballed some of them.

Unfortunately we’ll never be lucky enough to get pick 2 for someone like Weller though lol.

Weller
Hogan
Lobb
Langdon
Cerra
Schultz
Meeks
Henry
Acres
Logue
Hambling

Add to that a dual Brownlow Medallist in Neal and Sam Collins who they saw no value in and here is a possible line up

1722484278880.png

Add to that a dual Brownlow Medallist in Neal and Sam Collins who they saw no value in and here is a possible line up

View attachment 2065216
Yet amazingly have a squad we’d be pretty jealous of, if we put aside the anti-Freo bias. Granted they had a lean trot (which we are also currently in at the moment).

Hopefully we also come out of our rut with a similarly refreshed list.

That’s not really true, a lot of those guys Fremantle were more than happy to see leave hence why they lowballed some of them.

Unfortunately we’ll never be lucky enough to get pick 2 for someone like Weller though lol.
I call bullcrap

You cannot tell us that Freo wanted the following to leave: -
Neal - they did not want to lose at all and he has won 2 Brownlow Medals since leaving
Hill - he screwed them over with $$ up font and then left to do the same to St Blunders
Schultz - they were not happy to lose him
Cerra - they were pissed off he wanted to go home
Langdon - must be a WA thing but they never value wingman
Acres - see Langdon
Henry - he never connected at the club and was not coping with the Purple Haze
Lobb - they forced him to stay with his contract and then tried to refuse a trade until he threatened to step out of football

Other category
Logue - the club was long on KPDérs and cashed in
Hogan - he was never able to cope with being the Purples Saviour and he needed to get away from stardom
Weller - Freo did very well on this one and were holding the Suns by the Jatz Crackers and did very well
Tucker - he became depth so was surplus and a F3 to Norf was a bargain for them

What Freo have been very good at doing is extracting decent value at the trade table and drafting mids. Their KPDers have all come later in the draft and they deserve credit on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back