List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Waterman is an easy one to just let play out. If a team comes with a godfather offer this year, then deal.

Otherwise let him play motivated in 25 on a contract year. Could net us some good compo in 12 months time and gives us another season to assess our stocks and how to move fwd.

What we shouldnt do, is look to extend him now or give him away for unders (ie a pick in the teens)

We are not really pushing Barass out. He currently has 3 years left but is being offered 2 more at more money. A club in our position just cant match that - it would be stupid.

The situation with Waterman is slightly different. If he wants to extend his contract (expiring next year?) on more money now, it is reasonable for us to do that given he is only 26.

Barass would essentially be forcing our hand if he pressed for the money, whereas Waterman's contact would be reasonable for us to take up and I'd feel abit worse by just letting him go. Especially if he wanted to go to the Cats who are just deplorable to deal with at the trade table and would almost certainly try and corner us into taking unders with their usual tricks of manipulating the media and public statements by players.

What's the go with Hewett's? Its not just a case of doing the same surgery on this new foot injury that he did on the other foot

What a disaster the 2022 draft would be if Hewett never really gets on the park. Finish second last, only end up with Ginbey from our draft hand & also the extra 2R from Port

It’s pretty ****ed up that it wasn’t reported as being a problem if he was having issues throughout the year at the time..So we could have probably used a late 2 nd or 3 rd round Pick..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s pretty ****ed up that it wasn’t reported as being a problem if he was having issues throughout the year at the time..So we could have probably used a late 2 nd or 3 rd round Pick..

Should he not get up it would be a titanic level draft failure.

disaster? only with simple thinking.

don't trade the pick, pick up sheezel, north finish below us - no Reid.

Hewett doesn't work out, finish lower on ladder - compensated with higher pick number (and possible afl help).

our drafting has been crap though. recruitment can feel hard done by all they like. drafting Ainsworth should have been a red flag on where their head was at.
Mate for starters we could never have gotten Sheezel. In the natural order Roos had pick 1 and he was their first taken.
We had pick 2, our own second, plus ports second. Getting only Ginbey out of that, which is a distinct possibility, would be a disaster

Surprised but happy Charlie Burke didn’t get an invite, would love him with a late pick to solve our wing issues. Think he has a lot of talent.

Charlie Burke was on the list for the state combine. At this early stage he was the only one from WA to be nominated for that

So basically Duffield is saying it has to be this year's R1 (likely to be 10) but Hawks might continue their merry run of form and make the 8 PLUS F1.

If that is the case, then I'll turn up and help the Barrass family move to Melbourne.

Meanwhile Jay Clark from the HUN in Melbourne is stating it to be the Hawk's R1 this year and a sweetener.

"Hawthorn’s first draft choice would give the Eagles two selections (including No. 3) inside 10 plus a potential later selection if they ask for a sweetener in the Barrass deal."

What do the Hawks hold? They have this year the Pies R2 plus Swans and Blues R4. The latter 2 picks will be rubbish so no thanks. Their also have a full suite of 2025 picks.

So the Melbourne and the Perth journalists agree on at least one R1 and something but what is the something? Here goes with 3 options:
A - 2024 R1 plus Pies 2024 R2 for Barrass
B - 2024 R1 plus 2025 F1 for Barrass and 2025 F2 back.
C - 2024 R1 plus 2025 F2 (Pies) and 2025 R2 for Barrass and a F3 back.

The crop of Banfield, Rodrigues and Where's Wally look pretty inviting and would be something if we get a top 2 pick off before them all, hence preference for option B closely followed by C then some distance to A. The benefit of the R2 this year is that 22 and 26 are looking like the late teens picks of last year and we get them on board earlier.

So basically Duffield is saying it has to be this year's R1 (likely to be 10) but Hawks might continue their merry run of form and make the 8 PLUS F1.

If that is the case, then I'll turn up and help the Barrass family move to Melbourne.

Meanwhile Jay Clark from the HUN in Melbourne is stating it to be the Hawk's R1 this year and a sweetener.

"Hawthorn’s first draft choice would give the Eagles two selections (including No. 3) inside 10 plus a potential later selection if they ask for a sweetener in the Barrass deal."

What do the Hawks hold? They have this year the Pies R2 plus Swans and Blues R4. The latter 2 picks will be rubbish so no thanks. Their also have a full suite of 2025 picks.

So the Melbourne and the Perth journalists agree on at least one R1 and something but what is the something? Here goes with 3 options:

The crop of Banfield, Rodrigues and Where's Wally look pretty inviting and would be something if we get a top 2 pick off before them all, hence preference for option B closely followed by C then some distance to A. The benefit of the R2 this year is that 22 and 26 are looking like the late teens picks of last year and we get them on board earlier.

I’m hoping option B is the way things unfold.

Although I think it’ll just by Hawthorn’s first and a 2nd, which I’d still be content with assuming Hawthorn’s pick stays in the 9-10 range.

He scores 3 goals on the weekend!

I get trading TB ad he's getting old, but with Waterman and Allen our KPF are set for the next 7 years. They're key blocks for the next flag push.

Waterman also showed similar form early last year before getting sick. He's no flash in the pan.
I hope both last that long and at a high level but wtf do we do with the other tall forwards on our list. Something needs to give.
We really need to move one or 2 to the backline or use 1 for tradebait

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can trade F1’s 2 years in advance now, would they offer both?

Would they offer one + someone like Jhye Clark?

I doubt they would look at moving a local boy as part of the trade.

Animated GIF

And our midfield have shares in Ozempic. Thin as!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet amazingly have a squad we’d be pretty jealous of, if we put aside the anti-Freo bias. Granted they had a lean trot (which we are also currently in at the moment).

Hopefully we also come out of our rut with a similarly refreshed list.

Not at all jealous of their squad, rather respectful of the talent on it and acknowledge its quality.

With what they have been through to get to this position, however, is hardly anything that would make me envious of.

They have a great list at the minute because they have been shyte for a decade and have had a serious player retention problem, both points which have given them access to good early draft picks, that are now coming into their own.
Coupled with that is a good list assist's to attract players to defect to that Club, that’s another aspect of a list build that The Purples are doing better than us.

That said, they need to actually achieve a Premiership with this list, otherwise it will just be another failed and squandered offensive effort.

We at least, the last two times we went through our own slide down the ladder, have been able to arise and emerged as a strong unit that achieved the ultimate success in 2006 and 2018.

Now that’s the sort of Culture that opposition supporters could get jealous about.

The Purples went through, as you rightly say, a sustained period of sub standard performances, plus under achievement and are now emerging as a threat, time will tell if it’s a false dawn or the foundation to a tilt at the Ultimate Title , that so far has eluded them since 1995.
They have made the last Saturday in September but only once.

We have, by way of comparison in that same time frame, been there four times of which we got the ultimate prize twice.

I know which history I would prefer.

And yes hopefully we too emerge from our decline, in a place much better than our current sorry state.

That’s the very nature of the organic cyclical nature of the vAFL.

The share of talent and dibs on who you draft, to help your rebuild always heavily favours those who finish poorly each year.
In order to refurbish your list you need time, some luck and more importantly a comprehensive strategy to oversee the undertaking required to orchestrate a successful rebuild.

Being good in the past does not guarantee that you will good in the future.

But it’s a strong indicator that some Clubs seem to be better than others at extricating themselves from the shithouse to the penthouse quicker than others.

Since West Coast entered the vAFL the Club that does this best IMO is Hawthorn,
who seem to never not deliver a Premiership at least once a decade.

We run a creditable second to them.

So at the risk of being considered foolhardy and backing my club in blind faith, I do fully understand that we are at one of our lowest ebbs right now, but if life has taught me any lessons thus far, one is that looking at how people and organisations behave in the past is a good indicator as to what they will do in the future.

Our history is rich in success, and each time we have achieved ultimate success, we have done so by launching ourselves from the bottom of the Pack or ground zero.

Last edited:

Imo. The fair trade is
Pick 10 + F2 + DGB
For
TB.

But if we pay some of the $$ turn that F2 into F1. They have room apparently for both Battle and TB but would be a case of pick purchasing before it comes in. Leave them with some movement going forward.

Then need to get ours or Hawks F2 or our F2 into GC held WB pick this year. Sounds like their first pick and pick 19 might be going to Richmond if you believe the media. Last year to cash in on these bundles at full rort price. (Or one of Freos but I think they get Bolton)

Not at all jealous of their squad, rather respectful of the talent on it and acknowledge its quality.

With what they have been through to get to this position, however, is hardly anything that would make me envious of.

They have a great list at the minute because they have been shyte for a decade and have had a serious player retention problem, both points which have given them access to good early draft picks, that are now coming into their own.
Coupled with that is a good list assist attract players to defect to that Club, that’s another aspect of a list build that The Purples are doing better than us.

That said, they need to actually achieve a Premiership with this list, otherwise it will just be another failed and squandered offensive effort.

We at least, the last two times we went through our own slide down the ladder, have been able to arise and emerged as a strong unit that achieved the ultimate success in 2006 and 2018.

Now that’s the sort of Culture that opposition supporters could get jealous about.

The Purples went through, as you rightly say, a sustained period of sub standard performances, plus under achievement and are now emerging as a threat, time will tell if it’s a false dawn or the foundation to a tilt at the Ultimate Title , that so far has eluded them since 1995.
They have made the last Saturday in September but only once.

We have, by way of comparison in that same time frame, been there four times of which we got the ultimate prize twice.

I know which history I would prefer.

And yes hopefully we too emerge from our decline, in a place much better than our current sorry state.

That’s the very nature of the organic cyclical nature of the vAFL.

The share of talent and dibs on who you draft, to help your rebuild always heavily favours those who finish poorly each year.
In order to refurbish your list you need time, some luck and more importantly a comprehensive strategy to oversee the undertaking required to orchestrate a successful rebuild.

Being good in the past does not guarantee that you will good in the future.

But it’s a strong indicator that some Clubs seem to be better than others at extricating themselves from the shithouse to the penthouse quicker than others.

Since West Coast entered the vAFL the Club that does this best IMO is Hawthorn,
who seem to never not deliver a Premiership at least once a decade.

We run a creditable second to them.

So at the risk of being considered foolhardy and backing my club in blind faith, I do fully understand that we are at one of our lowest ebbs right now, but if life has taught me any lessons thus far, one is that looking at how people and organisations behave in the past is a good indicator as to what they will do in the future.

Our history is rich in success, and each time we have achieved ultimate success, we have done so by launching ourselves from the bottom of the Pack or ground zero.
Sure, WC might bounce back better and win a flag in a few years, but that’s not really the point.

‘Player retention problems’ are only problems if your squad ends up worse, talent wise, as a result. Player retention is not an end in itself.

DGB could be picked up as a delisted free agent, can't see him being retained at all.

Unless the Dogs launch a surprise massive offer think it's fairly easily done with Hawks 1st and 2nd rounder, as long as they don't win every single game left.

no, but if you draft poorly, you will finish lower. you can't be upset at ginbey trade and be happy with Reid at same time. I 100% believe the two are linked. without sheezel, north would have finished dead last and claimed Reid.

It doesnt mean the Ginbey trade/draft was a success though.
Its completely unrelated.

Yes its great to get Reid, but it also meant we didnt make any steps forward from the year before.

DGB could be picked up as a delisted free agent, can't see him being retained at all.

In all seriousness, why would we even want him?

He is a bust, every Club unfortunately has them as drafting is a dark science.

Waterman is an easy one to just let play out. If a team comes with a godfather offer this year, then deal.

Otherwise let him play motivated in 25 on a contract year. Could net us some good compo in 12 months time and gives us another season to assess our stocks and how to move fwd.

What we shouldnt do, is look to extend him now or give him away for unders (ie a pick in the teens)
Yeah, only way I'm trading Waterman this year is if someone comes in with an absolutely over the top offer.
Otherwise pretty keen to keep him. See how he starts off next year and give him an extension on decent money then if warranted.
Kinda sick of these guys signing contracts and then trying to renegotiate halfway through.

Unless the Dogs launch a surprise massive offer think it's fairly easily done with Hawks 1st and 2nd rounder, as long as they don't win every single game left.
That’s why I think he will just be thrown in (if our list teams and coaches think he can at least be depth) gives us depth and saves them delisting a pick 6, 4 years later

That’s why I think he will just be thrown in (if our list teams and coaches think he can at least be depth) gives us depth and saves them delisting a pick 6, 4 years later
That pick could be another Noah Long... we're already 99% sure DGB is a crab so why waste a list spot on him

Provided Hawks miss the finals I think A will get it done. B looks appealing on face value but could well end up being a 2025 swap of pick 15ish for pick 19.

The big if is where the Hawks finish this year. I’m predicting 9th. For me option A then turns into Barrass for Travaglia and Mraz (or possibly O’Farrell) which I’d be ok with. I’d want to be comfortable that is the combination of players we’d get for him in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back