List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, so much melting for some 'links' to Richmond players.

First, Clark wasn't the list manager for Richmond, he was the national recruiting manager, so let's get that right first.

Second, Graham's a free agent, so costs us nothing. Sounds like we're delisting quite a few, so we need replacements from somewhere. Pick 90 in the draft probably won't make much of an impact right away.

Third, Baker may come for whatever leftovers we get for Barrass(Hawks second?). I highly doubt we overpay for a bloke that won't be in our 10 best players. Despite the hoo-hah in Vic media about WCE splitting pick 3 to get picks for Baker, etc, just because WCE have a decent offer in front of him, doesn't mean we'll offer that much in picks. See Rioli to Port, for instance. he also may decide Freo is more appealing.

4th, Clark works for WCE now. Do people honestly believe he's going out of his way to benefit Richmond with these reported player movements? That'd be dumb as ****, considering he's paid by the WCE, not Richmond.

It needs to be ****ing band three so we stop diluting our picks.

Seriously our recruiter is an ex Richmond recruiter who probs think the current wooden spooners have gems. Holy **** Clarke tigers are wooden spooners they have no gems.

We didn't hire you to turn us into wooden spooners tigers.
If the Tigers finish last, bands 2 and 3 are effectively the same.

Band 2 is end of first round (call it 19 without any other bids etc and Tigers’ second rounder would then become Pick 20). Band 3 is second round (so will follow from Tigers pick 19, giving them 19 and 20).

Re: Wooden Spooners - we hired Clarke when we were the recently awarded wooden spooners so…nowhere to go but up.

Something tells me we are going to cave for Baker. Like always.

Players traded in by West Coast :

• Matt Flynn(FA) - 3 year deal that triggered end of R2 compensation (Band 4)
• Tyler Brockman - for picks 44 and 63

• Jayden Hunt(FA) - 3 year deal that triggered R3 compensation (Band 5)

• Sam Petrevski-Seton - for pick 52

• Zac Langdon - for pick 54
• Alex Witherden (+pick 86) - for pick 58 + F3 with Brisbane paying some of his salary

• Tim Kelly (+ pick 52/F3) - for picks 14,24,33 + F1

• Tom Hickey (+ pick 61/F4) - for pick 39 + F4

• Brendan Ah Chee (+F4) - for F3

• Sam Mitchell (+ picks 54,72) - for picks 52,70,88
• Nathan Vardy - for pick 72

• Jack Redden - for pick 17
• Lewis Jetta - for Callum Sinclair
• Jonathan Giles (+ pick 62) for pick 57

• Nil

• Xavier Ellis(FA) - no compensation triggered
• Elliot Yeo - for pick 28

• Sharrod Wellingham - for pick 18
• Cale Morton - for pick 88
• Jamie Cripps (+ pick 45) - for picks 40,43

• Josh Hill - for pick 49

Aside from Kelly because I can’t be arsed arguing the merits of that trade, which of the above trades would you consider we caved on?

Several didn’t quite work out as we may have hoped but nor did we give much up trading them in

It’s a bit of a board myth that we always cave which isn’t supported by the evidence

• Alex Witherden (+pick 86) - for pick 58 + F3 with Brisbane paying some of his salary

• Nil

Aside from Kelly because I can’t be arsed arguing the merits of that trade, which of the above trades would you consider we caved on?

Several didn’t quite work out as we may have hoped but nor did we give much up trading them in

It’s a bit of a board myth that we always cave which isn’t supported by the evidence
When we trade out we don't do so good from what I recall. Usually we seem to get shafted.

When we trade out we don't do so good from what I recall. Usually we seem to get shafted.

Players traded out by West Coast

• Willie Rioli - part of the megatrade, roughly received Ports F2 for him

• Tom Hickey (+ picks 34,60) - for picks 58,62 + F2,F3

• Callum Sinclair - for Lewis Jetta
• Matt Rosa - for pick 31

• Koby Stevens - for pick 43
• Lewis Stevenson - for pick 88

• Brad Ebert (+pick 45) - for picks 28,49

We also lost Quinten Lynch (2011), Scott Selwood (2015) and Scott Lycett (2018) as free agents

Not much of a sample size - 7 players traded out in 13 years but the Ebert trade still riles and to a lesser extent the Rioli trade. The others are really neither here nor there

We also declined Mitch Brown’s request to be traded to St Kilda in 2012 as he was still contracted and weren’t satisfied with the Saints offer

• Nil

Keys, looks like you might need to refer to the BigFooty Eagles Board List Management Flowchart:

BFEBLMF.png

****ing hell. So if we acquire all of Richmond scraps we will be as good as them? Woweee.

We better not be giving Richmond picks. If we overpay Graham we will dilute our hand.

Stop it!!!!!

Wait we have to give them picks? ****ing hell. I thought it was payment and they trigger a band?????

Seriously our recruiter is an ex Richmond recruiter who probs think the current wooden spooners have gems. Holy **** Clarke tigers are wooden spooners they have no gems.

Settle petal

Graham is an unrestricted free agent so we don’t need to trade away any picks

And if we do pick him up as a FA then Richmond will receive compensation depending on what we pay him which is unknown at this stage

However, it would be reasonably safe to assume that we pay him something similar to what we paid Hunt and Flynn as Free Agents. Melbourne received a R3 pick for Hunt (Band 5) and GWS an end of R2 pick for Flynn (Band 4)

Meaning Richmond likely get band 4 at best and possibly band 5, which if they finish last will essentially be the same result

Jack Graham is borderline delist territory at tigers. Why would we burn cap space on him?

Everyone needs to cool their jets on Hewett - people are writing him off as done already. I remember when Shuey was first drafted, he barely played a game for his first two seasons due to OP and knee issues, and people were writing him off then as they are now with Hewett. Look how Shuey turned out....
I wasn't writing Hewett off. I was talking about a hypothetical i.e. if it turns out that way.
I want his feet to come good as much as anyone - massive fan.

Hes a hff flanker type. Bit of a plodder but is an ok role player.

Hes somewhat similar to Cripps I guess but doesnt kick goals and cant run as much.

Hes done a few tag jobs in the last few weeks
Man this cracked me up. Like Cripps but can't do anything that Cripps does well.

I don't disagree FWIW. Can't see the attraction

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man this cracked me up. Like Cripps but can't do anything that Cripps does well.

I don't disagree FWIW. Can't see the attraction
Haha I wasnt really selling him was I

Hes like Cripps as in they both line up at HFF, they are endurance players and are strong defensively.
Graham is more of a mid than a forward though, so doesnt kick goals but does have more midfield ability. Bit slower than Cripps too, at least compared to Cripps when he was in his 20s.

Hes better than a lot of our current list and is free

I'm pretty worried about Matt Clarke.
What we either know, or have a reasonable level of confidence in:
1. Keen on Baker. doesn't make sense to chase given he won't come cheap & doesn't suit our list profile
2. Keen on Graham. Sure he comes free, but he's a fringe player. We've wasted money, list spots & games on bringing in far too many fringe players in recent times
3. Failed to get Buss when he's right at the bottom of pile at dogs, & can basically guarantee he comes to his home state & gets games. Maybe this was out of his hands, maybe not.
4. Not yet signed H.Edwards. Sure that's not a hanging offence on it's own, but its now reported other clubs are circling. Get it done.
5. 3yrs to Yeo, 4 to duggan. In isolation neither of these can be criticed IMO, but given our recent history of re-signing older &/or injury prone players for too long, it is a bit of a worry
6. Snakey Jakey is now testing the market. In all likelihood its his manager trying to milk the best deal. Jury is out on this one.
7. Hasn't caved to Barrass' wishes to renogotiate or extend on better terms. Prob gets the points on this one, as he's an older player that could net us very good draft capital, or just hold him if we wish.

There's still hope this offseason turns out ok, but I'm less confident than I am confident

Haha I wasnt really selling him was I

Hes like Cripps as in they both line up at HFF, they are endurance players and are strong defensively.
Graham is more of a mid than a forward though, so doesnt kick goals but does have more midfield ability. Bit slower than Cripps too, at least compared to Cripps when he was in his 20s.

Hes better than a lot of our current list and is free
As a mid, what he does defensively doesn't make up for what he doesn't do offensively.
As a fwd, while he can pressure, he's not quick & rarely hits the scoreboard.

Surely there's got to be some skullduggery going on, with a healthy FA compo pick going the Tigers way to dilute the cost of us acquiring Baker Boy.

1. Keen on Baker. doesn't make sense to chase given he won't come cheap & doesn't suit our list profile
Fits the list profile as we have very few players in their mid to late 20s and we are likely delisting 7+ players most of them being mid 20s or older. We need players of this age
2. Keen on Graham. Sure he comes free, but he's a fringe player. We've wasted money, list spots & games on bringing in far too many fringe players in recent times
Hes better than the guys on the delist pile. We severaly lack defensive players, we have been exposed all year for having basically all of our mids being offensive focused players. Need some balance.
He was once touted as a future captain at Richmond, hes got some leadership qualities too.
3. Failed to get Buss when he's right at the bottom of pile at dogs, & can basically guarantee he comes to his home state & gets games. Maybe this was out of his hands, maybe not.
4. Not yet signed H.Edwards. Sure that's not a hanging offence on it's own, but its now reported other clubs are circling. Get it done.
HEdwards probably waiting to see what happens with Barrass. Was unlikely we were ever going to keep both of them. harry needs games.
5. 3yrs to Yeo, 4 to duggan. In isolation neither of these can be criticed IMO, but given our recent history of re-signing older &/or injury prone players for too long, it is a bit of a worry
6. Snakey Jakey is now testing the market. In all likelihood its his manager trying to milk the best deal. Jury is out on this one.
7. Hasn't caved to Barrass' wishes to renogotiate or extend on better terms. Prob gets the points on this one, as he's an older player that could net us very good draft capital, or just hold him if we wish.
Both Barrass and Waterman are contracted, they cant leave unless we let them.
There's still hope this offseason turns out ok, but I'm less confident than I am confident

As a mid, what he does defensively doesn't make up for what he doesn't do offensively.
As a fwd, while he can pressure, he's not quick & rarely hits the scoreboard.

Surely there's got to be some skullduggery going on, with a healthy FA compo pick going the Tigers way to dilute the cost of us acquiring Baker Boy.
We cant have everything, hes a free agent who would be on relatively small money. He fills a need for us, in age and role. Hes a midfielder, not a forward.

If he comes onto the list to replace Culley or LEdwards thats a win

Why would HEdwards sign now? Give me one good reason...
If barrass stays he can ask for a trade. If barrass goes then he'll get more money than he would otherwise.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack Graham is borderline delist territory at tigers. Why would we burn cap space on him?

So close to being delisted he's played 0 VFL games in 4 years?

He has limitations (speed) and injury concerns this year, but if he's fit he's playing AFL and isn't close to being delisted.

A lot of reactions to a couple of tweets

I don’t like the idea of selling the farm for mediocre players either, but nothing has happened yet.

Let’s just wait and see how things pan out

Band 3 would still push our 2nd rounder back another pick as Richmond would get a pick after their 2nd which is ahead of us ATM .

Band 4 would be end of 2nd and not so bad

Honestly 2 years for Graham as a stop gap on average pay isn't the end of the world.

Anything more giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back