List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
No we don't. Defensive mid is exactly what we need. Graham and even baker will provide much needed flexibility in our midfield mix, protecting what will likely be 4/5 kids under 20.

Yeo can help down back if we're under the pump or when travaglia needs rest.
Reid can rest down forward and kick a couple.
Hall, hewett, Draper, Hotton can be integrated into the mid rotations.
Duggan can play inside nugget

It also negates a need for the 'simmo' era gimp wing allowing Chesser, Johnsonn, Maric to move more freely.

Look at the best midfeilds and they have flexibility and options.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
The best midfields don’t have someone of grahams quality playing. That’s the massive issue with this entire idea. Doesn’t fill a need and is a C grade player. Bottom place Richmond don’t even want to keep him

I’m not arguing against baker he would be a great get for us. Duggan / yeo more than capable of playing defensive mid.

Yeah would be ideal but positive thinking with this. Might be useful if they fall in love with someone at pick 2/3 and our draft board has our target at 5.

2 + 10
For
5 + 6 (Trainor + Reid/Langford ect)
St Blunders only get 6 if Battle goes and I’m hearing more likely that he re-signs

Last edited:

The best midfields don’t have someone of grahams quality playing. That’s the massive issue with this entire idea. Doesn’t fill a need and is a C grade player. Bottom place Richmond don’t even want to keep him

I’m not arguing against baker he would be a great get for us. Duggan / yeo more than capable of playing defensive mid.
100% fills a need, not sure how this is even an argument but anyway. Dev attended CBAs in the finals run last year for the Lions who were a kick away from a premiership……

VFL watch.

Carrol 24 2 tackles 3 clearances
Dev 36 7 tackles 12 clearances
Buss 20 8 marks
Jack MacRae 43 touches
Boyd woodcock 32 11 tackles

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still think Dev for basically free is a sound pick-up. Either thrives being played in a preferred position or rips up the WAFL, which improves our development.

I think all the best teams have someone of Graham's "ability" playing. They are however hidden by the talent around them so go unnoticed. In poor teams however they aren't so anonymous and that's when the knives come out.

I think Graham will add value to WC. He clearly will add depth as he's better than several current players whom I could mention and fills out the age group they are worried about. He is also well known for holding players accountable for standards both in games and on the track which wont go astray either.

Add English, Baker and Graham, get back a fit Hewitt, add Curtin (because Adelaide want Draper so much they swap him and #4 for #2 &23). Then add another top 10 pick and something 2nd round for Barrass, whilst keeping their 1st and 2nd rounders next year would be quite a heist and eminently doable.

Would change the look of WC going into round 1 next year considerably whilst still holding high(ish) picks for 2025.

Don't underestimate the impact a new coach with new ideas will have. No-one in their right mind expected Hawthorn to do what they have done this year and I don't think anyone believes their list is THAT much better than WC's

Sorry ;) and it’s not in relation to bringing him in for once.

Your reaction is just why it’s a fair comparison to ‘C’ grader mids don’t play in the middle for top teams.

How do you describe Mark Hutchings our 2018 premiership midfielder?

Totally shut down Sidebottom in the GF and was in the best list.

I’m still really high on Moraes if we split or get another first in or if we want to move up with our 2nd rounder

27 disposals and FIVE goals yesterday, he runs hard all day, is very outside but we also need outside class desperately. He reminds me a lot of someone like Rozee.

Smillie only had 10 touches, I’m unsure if he went off injured though?
Moraes was the one that got squeezed out of that Vic Metro midfield for large chunks of the champs and has had impact on his rankings it would seem.

I’ve got Rozee vibes on him too in the past but I’ve simply put it down to the jet black hair and skinny frame until you mentioned that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think all the best teams have someone of Graham's "ability" playing. They are however hidden by the talent around them so go unnoticed. In poor teams however they aren't so anonymous and that's when the knives come out.

I think Graham will add value to WC. He clearly will add depth as he's better than several current players whom I could mention and fills out the age group they are worried about. He is also well known for holding players accountable for standards both in games and on the track which wont go astray either.

Add English, Baker and Graham, get back a fit Hewitt, add Curtin (because Adelaide want Draper so much they swap him and #4 for #2 &23). Then add another top 10 pick and something 2nd round for Barrass, whilst keeping their 1st and 2nd rounders next year would be quite a heist and eminently doable.

Would change the look of WC going into round 1 next year considerably whilst still holding high(ish) picks for 2025.

Don't underestimate the impact a new coach with new ideas will have. No-one in their right mind expected Hawthorn to do what they have done this year and I don't think anyone believes their list is THAT much better than WC's
Garcia in the frame to come in as well.

Changing a 3rd of your best 23 team makes a difference while not sacrificing much of your draft hand is huge.

Would change the look of WC going into round 1 next year considerably.

Also add Garcia as a 23 yr old smaller mid / forward along with Dewar, Long and Champion. Nice bunch of small forwards, some mids.

Balances the bigger mids we have in Reid, Yeo and Hewett. Add Curtin and our 1st this year. Also want to see Chesser train off season as an inside mid and have a go along with Hall.

Our new defender Ruben "Beau" Ginbey, Duggan and eventually Travaglia can add rotations further up field.

Focus our best pick on a pure mid.

Our list is going to look much different in 6 months time.

The next 2 months of reading posters whining about Grayme taking up a list spot is going to be riveting. That and 50 pages on get Dev, Georgiades, Busslinger, Sheldrick, Carroll, Davies or Garcia.

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

They don’t have people of grahams ability playing as one of the main four inside mids. They do in other positions across the ground. But all of the elite teams have four A / B+ grade mids at least.

100% fills a need, not sure how this is even an argument but anyway. Dev attended CBAs in the finals run last year for the Lions who were a kick away from a premiership……
How can people genuinely argue he fills a need when we carry four guys over 28 playing inside mid and four to five young guys in desperate need for inside mid minutes. Just baffling.

On the flip side we have zero senior wing players and 0 senior attacking half backs.

Dev averaged roughly 15% of CBAs in the last six games of last year. I’m not sure what your point is there

Hough has shown his best position is lock down small defender. Ginbey will be third tall defender. The rest have to be elite rebounders which Duggan is not.

Why are we bending over backwards to fit graham into the team hahaha. Just play Duggan as defensive mid if that’s what we want. It’s the perfect way to hide his deficiencies.
I think in the last few weeks Hough has looked even better when allowed a little license to get the ball himself. I dont think pure lockdown is his future.
Ginbey is the 3rd tall.

Im giving Duggan Coles old role, with Cole playing further up the ground. Need some more leadership in the backline if Barrass goes and Gov is close to the end.

Its hardly bending over backwards to fit in Graham, its arguably the best way to set up our backline with so many young players

We are not one of the best midfields. In 3 years time its not an issue if Graham is pushed out of the best 22.
He can just be a stopgap, or he can last longer. We arent locked into playing him in our midfield until he retires lmao.

No to Yeo being defensive mid. Hes our best clearance winner, let him do it until he cant then put him in the backline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back