List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moraes was the one that got squeezed out of that Vic Metro midfield for large chunks of the champs and has had impact on his rankings it would seem.

I’ve got Rozee vibes on him too in the past but I’ve simply put it down to the jet black hair and skinny frame until you mentioned that.
Agree with you and TerryFilk on this one. Almost seems to have been forgotten about because he just didn’t get the midfield minutes at the champs. I’m aware of two clubs that are likely to have a pick around the 12-14 mark who are very keen on him, I don’t think he’d slide as much as the rankings suggest if the draft was tomorrow. At least the champs allowed him to show some versatility.

They don’t have people of grahams ability playing as one of the main four inside mids. They do in other positions across the ground. But all of the elite teams have four A / B+ grade mids at least.
Baby steps, we dont have to go from poor midfield to elite in 1 year. As long as we get better suport for Reid, Hewett and our 1st pick this year to thrive. Thats what Graham brings

How can people genuinely argue he fills a need when we carry four guys over 28 playing inside mid and four to five young guys in desperate need for inside mid minutes. Just baffling.

On the flip side we have zero senior wing players and 0 senior attacking half backs.

Dev averaged roughly 15% of CBAs in the last six games of last year. I’m not sure what your point is there
You’re not limited to signing hbf and wingers by sign a MID/FWD as a free agent? Weird take but on form.

I wouldn’t have thought Graham is coming in to play as our number 1 CBA player?
If you can’t get the point of depth and how lists are built and how unbalanced our list is age/positional depth/leadership/skills and how a free hit Graham could help with that plus all the other stuff he brings….. it’s going to be a long trade period for you with the noise that’s coming out of the Pyke with being aggressive and pulling all 3 levers.

Gaff, Sheed and Yeo (cousin) played as our WAFL CBAs last week. Culley/Chesser/Yeo this week. That is not great sign of depth. One is probably cut, one isn’t on our list and the other we have no idea of he will make it. Not sure who these young guys missing out on CBAs are who is missing out? Just baffling

Throw up your plans on what you would do this off season? Who to draft? target or sign? Trades you would like

The main reason I'm warming to Graham is how well Ginbey is playing down back. We will need a defensive midfielder to complement Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett.
If we have a ton of salary space we could over pay Graham so we pay less for Baker.

Eg Graham is probably worth 2-3 years at 450k .
That's band 4 territory and would net Richmond pick 40- 44

They have picks 36 39 41 54 atm

We tell them we will get them band 3 for Graham (pick 22 atm ) then they give us Baker for cheaper .

Yeah this is always the biggest red flag for me. At a worse team as well :/.
We were all happy masten retired and no one realised how well he played the gimp wing and what a sacrifice he made in his game for the good of the club .

Sometimes you don't know what you've got till its gone

If we have a ton of salary space we could over pay Graham so we pay less for Baker.

Eg Graham is probably worth 2-3 years at 450k .
That's band 4 territory and would net Richmond pick 40- 44

They have picks 36 39 41 54 atm

We tell them we will get them band 3 for Graham (pick 22 atm ) then they give us Baker for cheaper .
And this is everything wrong about the current FA compensation. When first launched, we were told is was only going to be partial compensation

How do you describe Mark Hutchings our 2018 premiership midfielder?

Totally shut down Sidebottom in the GF and was in the best list.
Difference is hutch had pace and Graham is slow .

Look at our team on Friday the young guys were flying across the grass .

I feel we will have the same problems with Graham as sheed and just too slow on the spread

We were all happy masten retired and no one realised how well he played the gimp wing and what a sacrifice he made in his game for the good of the club .

Sometimes you don't know what you've got till its gone
Can’t compare a role player on the fat wing in a premiership contending side to an inside mid in a rebuild team.

I feel we will have the same problems with Graham as sheed and just too slow on the spread
Agreed. Would much rather get games into Clay Hall in this role and very much doubt we’ve told Graham we’ll recruit him for depth if Hall is injured.

You’re not limited to signing hbf and wingers by sign a MID/FWD as a free agent? Weird take but on form.

I wouldn’t have thought Graham is coming in to play as our number 1 CBA player?
If you can’t get the point of depth and how lists are built and how unbalanced our list is age/positional depth/leadership/skills and how a free hit Graham could help with that plus all the other stuff he brings….. it’s going to be a long trade period for you with the noise that’s coming out of the Pyke with being aggressive and pulling all 3 levers.

Gaff, Sheed and Yeo (cousin) played as our WAFL CBAs last week. Culley/Chesser/Yeo this week. That is not great sign of depth. One is probably cut, one isn’t on our list and the other we have no idea of he will make it. Not sure who these young guys missing out on CBAs are who is missing out? Just baffling

Throw up your plans on what you would do this off season? Who to draft? target or sign? Trades you would like
We are limited with how many spots we have on our list. How on earth is it a weird take to fill holes on the list first.

I don’t think we need to trade for inside mids. I want us to draft an elite inside mid with our first pick and continue to put games into hall / Chesser / Hewitt. Next year we have Reid, Kelly, Yeo as our starting three guns. Duggan at this stage in his career is perfectly suited to that defensive mid role if required. And we are also going to be carrying sheed next year.

That’s 9 players we have to play with with a blend of attributes. Graham offers absolutely nothing in addition to the nine above other than taking development minutes off our youth.

We clearly have depth in that position. We have 40ish players on the list of which 9 are best suited to inside mid role.

Also ignoring the fact the game has completely changed. There’s a reason why sheed and gaff suck now and hutch has retired. Pace is an absolute requirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The next 2 months of reading posters whining about Grayme taking up a list spot is going to be riveting. That and 50 pages on get Dev, Georgiades, Busslinger, Sheldrick, Carroll, Davies or Garcia.
Why cross out Sheldrick.

Is injured, resigned.etc? Thought he would be a decent pick up for nothing picks to be honest.

Even Graham, if it’s nothing pick then why the worry? We’re not picking up Bontempelli’s at R3/R4

And this is everything wrong about the current FA compensation. When first launched, we were told is was only going to be partial compensation
But every other team finds work arounds in Free Agency , father son or academy bidding .

Why shouldn't we exploit it too ?

Both us and Richmond come out better .

As pyke said we have leavers to pull .

I would still be asking the afl for priority picks aswell . We have won only 10 games in 3 seasons .

Any picks would help . Ask for 2 extra rookie spots and put sheed and jamo on there if they are struggling with injury.

Why cross out Sheldrick.

Is injured, resigned.etc? Thought he would be a decent pick up for nothing picks to be honest.

Even Graham, if it’s nothing pick then why the worry? We’re not picking up Bontempelli’s at R3/R4
Signed last year. OOC end of next season. He might try and force his way out. See how the Swans season plays out. Hard to see him getting in but who knows

More isnt a bad thing.
Graham is better at that support role than most of our list. Hes literally free dude why are you so against it lmao
Because we have a limited amount of spots on the list? We cant just waste list spots on below average players from wooden spoon teams. If we are choosing between adding Graham who adds very minimal over keeping a young guy I choose the young guy.

Can’t compare a role player on the fat wing in a premiership contending side to an inside mid in a rebuild team.
I'm with you on Graham playing in the 1s . I just don't know if he is worth it .

But...... if we have cap which must be spent to hit 95% especially if barrass goes what do we do with it ?

Yeo has Re-signed

Target English

Bring in Baker

If paying Graham some extra money to fudge the system and get Baker cheaper in draft capital im all for it .

Graham plays some afl , plays some wafl teaches the kids . Him and Baker have a wealth of experience.

Signed last year. OOC end of next season. He might try and force his way out. See how the Swans season plays out. Hard to see him getting in but who knows
Yeah, he shouldn’t be a target now. He should be one next year.

We need to hit the draft, and use picks in trade where there is leverage e.g OOC.

But he should be on our list of targets. Sydney midfield if stack and he would be available for cheap. Also, I rate Sydney’s development so could be a gem.

Because we have a limited amount of spots on the list? We cant just waste list spots on below average players from wooden spoon teams. If we are choosing between adding Graham who adds very minimal over keeping a young guy I choose the young guy.
Which young guy ?

They don’t have people of grahams ability playing as one of the main four inside mids. They do in other positions across the ground. But all of the elite teams have four A / B+ grade mids at least.

Well Graham did in in their premiership years - alongside Martin, Cotchin et al. And in fact other teams have had similar players to Graham fill those roles - Josh Caddy was 1 I remember but I'm sure there are others who rotate through and have done a similar unheralded job.
I do however accept for Graham that was 5 or 6 years ago and things change over time.

I know the jury is out on Hewitt and maybe even Reid to a certain degree, but I think Yeo and Kelly can he classified as A grade mids so WC are nearly there in your 4 x A or B+ players.

I also think you're viewing this situation as Graham taking the spot of someone who deserves to play therefore denying WC the opportunity to select the number of quality mids you indicate they should have. I don't see it like this, I see it as adding to the options they have. Certainly I and many others would see him as a better midfield option than say Culley, Petrecelle and Duggan who have run through there this year.

And with a high pick this year and probably next year as well and the fact WC have indicated they are looking for mids, means they will likely focus on those and get the pick of the crop. If like Reid, they come ready to play round 1 then excellent. If like most they play a few games and are in and out of team till they get bigger and stronger after a several preseasons, then Graham (& Baker) can fill those gaps in the meantime.

But every other team finds work arounds in Free Agency , father son or academy bidding .

Why shouldn't we exploit it too ?

Both us and Richmond come out better .

As pyke said we have leavers to pull .

I would still be asking the afl for priority picks aswell . We have won only 10 games in 3 seasons .

Any picks would help . Ask for 2 extra rookie spots and put sheed and jamo on there if they are struggling with injury.
I would advocate 100 percent exploiting it - it is bullcrap but we need to take our turn exploiting it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back