List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
But that pick is another tool in the toolbox that could be used, or we could trade it in some way, or we could use it for the Champion bid which is why you stockpile later picks.

Adding a free pick for Darling is such found money at this point, you’d have to do it if there was one on offer and he was keen to move.
I fail to see how we hit the 95% salary cap without darling / barrass / ryan .

No way we pay darlings salary for a late pick

Petty has already re-signed at Dees
Lukosius? Not sure where he fits in, and he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his 6 years in the system...

If it's a salary cap dump then maybe, but if there's a high asking price I'd give him a miss tbh
I doubt lukosious would be a salary dump . He is a pretty good player and they have thrown him back and forward to fill holes .

Anyway we are picking draiper at pick 3 so suffer in your jocks

I doubt lukosious would be a salary dump . He is a pretty good player and they have thrown him back and forward to fill holes .

Anyway we are picking draiper at pick 3 so suffer in your jocks

Yeah he's versatile, but he hasn't performed with any consistency in ANY roles.

Pick 4 would be laughable, and I'm not too fussed if we don't get Draper because there's 5 very good players there in the top 5

If we lose both barrass and Ryan in the off season we go backwards next season IMO

I would rather keep barass than ryan but I wouldn't want to extend barrass contract which makes it tricky.

Ryan is expendable especially after 3 hamstring surgeries but we also have young indigenous boys who need guidance and Kelly is getting old . Also a tricky one .

We could probably go to the afl and say we need a priority pick otherwise we have to sell players like ryan to bring in talent and go backwards.

Barrass is gone in my opinion. We won't be extending him so he will take one of those 5 year deals .

Get what we can and draft another genuine KPP .

Pick 10 + 27 from hawks

Pick 10 Xavier Lindsay

Pick 27 Kayle Gerreyn

Don't see losing Ryan as shifting the needle any way or the other in 2025. He really hasn't delivered a whole lot this season.

Would rather open up a spot each week in the team to develop Long, Hewett, Dewar, Hutchings or our top pick this draft. Doesn't even include Brockman and Champion who we will want to get games into.

Baker or Graham could also play half forward but in a different more defensive role.

What’s your fix if English re-signs with the dogs as expected? Why can’t Barnett be trialled as a KPD if we got a Knobel? Knobel’s inclusion would have no impact on pick 3 whatsoever. You could remove him from that trade and it wouldn’t look much different.
Id give Flynn a year longer if we cant get English. Not really sure why youd think Max Knobel would waltz into our 22 to fix it...

'Shaking cages' as someone put it as an independent contractor for the club. Club is paying flights, accomodation and i'm in Australia 2 weeks a month plus my consultation fee. Finish up end of pick trade period, not involved in this years draft.

No player has committed from an opposition side to coming to the club at this stage. A couple are 50/50.

Ryan, Barrass, Edwards being actively chased by other clubs. A couple of younger and mid age players have had a bit of lukewarm interest but nothing to report.

Apologies, can't give anymore information.
Hi WCE_phil! Good to hear you’re onboard, always enjoy your perspectives and insights! (even if dire sometimes).

Despite not being involved in the draft proper, to what level do you based your trade advice on predicted draft positions (and the rumor mill on who goes where)? Any key kids you like?

Also, do you actively mediate conversations between list management and recruitment to bolster the list profile? Where do you foresee priority - the short term with an eye on the future for development and culture (ensuring we avoid beltings) or purely the next flag tilt squad?

I'd like to see JD get to 300.

If he can contribute like last Friday he's valuable

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think for JD it all comes down to effort, at times he looks like he's running through the motions.

Friday he brought real intensity to each part of his game. Loved it, and that's the effort you expect from a guy with his calibre.

I think for JD it all comes down to effort, at times he looks like he's running through the motions.

Friday he brought real intensity to each part of his game. Loved it, and that's the effort you expect from a guy with his calibre.

His tackling pressure was like 2011 all over again. Was awesome.

If he plays like that it’s hard not to be b22 next year.

Remembering that every club has 17 and soon to be 18 competitors, in what world would a club not call out Levi Ashcroft as the number 1 pick?

2019 - nobody close to no 1 but at 9, SOS does the right thing to keep the Purples honest (and probably pissed off the Purples had just taken Young then Serong before his pick). Not knowing what he now wanted, SOS went again on Tom Green until he could get the right premium from the Suns ✅

2020 - Crows did it with the Dogs ✅

2021 - Norf got ahead of themselves and stroked Horny Frank’s ego meaning the Pies were able to effectively keep the pick that got them a Norm Smith medallist. And Norf look the fools for thinking HornyFrank was close to Daicos in value. Oh and HornyFrank has since proven he was not able to cope with the No 1 mantle meaning he felt entitled and asked to go home ❌

2022 - GWS are a foundation member of the Northern Academies Mafia so were looking after the Lions plus wanting to save face for overpaying to get pick 1 for a player who was not even top 4 and yet not even asking about Will Ashcroft. At least Norf learnt a lesson and asked at 2. ❌

2023 - nobody close to HR as number 1 and fair to say Harley can handle the tag. Norf should have called Walter at 2 but I suggest they had a side agreement with the Suns from their pick swapping

Richmond have been good at bidding on Brisbane’s prospects and I hope they do it again with Will. He would be very worthy taking at 1 and there is no other stand out like there was last year

Why would every other club not want the club tipped to be in consecutive GF appearances paying the maximum for pointy end talent. Oh and a haul of Ashcroft and Marshall will be an excellent outcome this year. Surely we want them in a massive deficit next year to push back their picks big time
The problem with your argument is that Richmond will probably be trading draft points for Brisbane's first and I suspect that will include an agreement to not bid on Levi.

Remembering that every club has 17 and soon to be 18 competitors, in what world would a club not call out Levi Ashcroft as the number 1 pick?

Fair question. In addition to the "don't want to create badwill in case you are in the same situation one day" argument (which I don't think every club cares about), there is the interpretation that you might be signalling to whoever you end up taking that they were your fallback option.

The most compelling argument though is I think clubs don't want to rob their player or themselves of the honour/prestige/marketing value of being the true pick 1. The symbolic difference between pick 1 and 2 is very big, but is almost insignificant between 2 and 3.

I am almost certain this is why Daicos and W. Ashcroft didn't go pick 1. I reckon Levi will get bid on at 2 for the same reason.

Last edited:
I fail to see how we hit the 95% salary cap without darling / barrass / ryan .

No way we pay darlings salary for a late pick
If we’re struggling to hit the cap floor, paying Darling’s salary and getting a pick back would be a great way to meet it and get ‘paid’ for doing so, surely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair question. In addition to the "don't want to create badwill in case you are in the same situation one day" argument (which I don't think every club cares about), the best argument I have seen is that you might be signalling to whoever you end up taking that they were your fallback option but more significantly robbing them of the honour/prestige/marketing value of being pick 1.

I am almost certain this is why Daicos and W. Ashcroft didn't go pick 1.
Bidding on Daicos at 1 might have been the best thing for HornyFrank. He came across as very entitled and self centred. Not what you need in a team sport.

Bidding on Daicos at 1 might have been the best thing for HornyFrank. He came across as very entitled and self centred. Not what you need in a team sport.

Yeah I think Norf themselves wanted to dine out on having pick 1 though, and the perception that they got their second option at pick 1 would have dented that.

I for one support the commentators choice here to embrace the memes and pronounce Jack's surname as "Off" the entire game. Ough is finishing strongly this season, pushing his name up draft boards since he move to a more permanent on ball role. His size and clean hands at ground level are a feature, along with a nice change of direction and tidy disposal.

The problem with your argument is that Richmond will probably be trading draft points for Brisbane's first and I suspect that will include an agreement to not bid on Levi.
I don't know if Brisbane have many picks to take to the draft . Their list is pretty full.
What would Brisbane do with a whole bunch of late picks they won't be able to use .

I don't know if Brisbane have many picks to take to the draft . Their list is pretty full.
What would Brisbane do with a whole bunch of late picks they won't be able to use .
They can just leave players like Zorko and Lester off the list until after the draft to create extra list spots if they need to.

If we’re struggling to hit the cap floor, paying Darling’s salary and getting a pick back would be a great way to meet it and get ‘paid’ for doing so, surely?
Sure I understand that but if we trade him pay his 800k a year i would be wanting a pick before a champion bid came in or a future 2nd .

Otherwise it's not worth it we are not making cap room .

Can't we just say no to any Barrass trade and no to any contract extension?
I guess technically, but that would mean keeping an unhappy TB, getting no draft pick compensation and letting Harry Edwards go. Pretty much accepted letting TB go is the right thing to do

Lukosius is really a rich man’s Jack Watts.

But he’s really versatile and would probably be a finishing touch to a few top 8 sides. He’s a rolls Royce kind of player.

He really strikes me as the kind of guy that really needs to feel backed by the club and I don’t think Hardwick rates that altogether much.

Can't we just say no to any Barrass trade and no to any contract extension?

We can, but in typical AFL fashion (good or bad) clubs don't want to be perceived as holding players back or being inflexible to player requests in fear of alienating their own current or possible future players.

They can just leave players like Zorko and Lester off the list until after the draft to create extra list spots if they need to.

Your late picks only add up to about 1700points

Brizzy could trade their first for so much more by slowly trading down like GC did last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back