List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any decent wingers in this draft.Wouldnt mind a quality wingman or 2,which I think would really help.

Somebody like Windsor from Melbourne,a player who can run and carry and break the lines,preferably with pace(is that too much to ask for?).
Travaglia is the option for a winger. Has a turn of pace (not quite at Windsor's level), absolute elite endurance and is a sensational mark to boot.
Runs to the right places to be used and is very defensively minded. Give him space on a wing and he would immediately be an upgrade to Chesser/Maric on the outside.
Could play HBF but would be a weapon on a wing as an alternative.
Oliver another option but hasn't been anywhere near as consistent this year.

Last edited:
Am I the only one happy with pick 12 or whatever Hawthorn end up with?

I expect a few dislikes thrown my way but difficult to see even Hawthorn throwing in DGB as a sweetener and they do not have a lot of draft capital. Don't think they are at the stage of pushing for a flag just yet so they won't be throwing away all their picks for ready made players, not many would be looking to leave, and Hawks would want to use their next pick (30 or so) in the draft.

I think 12-15 or so is a fair straight trade for Barrass.

Finally, it's official!
Hope we get some good draft picks.
Seems a big gamble for Hawthorn.
We'll adapt and move on, unlikely he'd be around for our next tilt.

From the makers of “we must give up the most red time goals in the league” comes “we are the softest team in the league at the trade table.”

Have a read of every other board and see the same sentiment repeated again and again.

Its been a theme that the kids playing VFL come back to the Talent League chock full of confidence and turn in a ripper performance, and Harvey Langford was no different. He was relentless and beastlike around the stoppages, damaging with the footy outside of the contest, strong overhead and slotted four goals to round things off and help his team get the win.

I expect a few dislikes thrown my way but difficult to see even Hawthorn throwing in DGB as a sweetener and they not much other capital to give. Don't think they are at the stage of pushing for a flag just yet, not many would be looking to leave, and Hawks would want to use their next pick (30 or so) in the draft.

I would generally think it’s fair value if it were 5 years ago but there is a huge demand for elite kpd with little supply so his value has to be higher. Like just last year Essendon paid a kings ransom for spud McKay and hawks were gunning for him also because there are no other options..

I expect a few dislikes thrown my way but difficult to see even Hawthorn throwing in DGB as a sweetener and they not much other capital to give. Don't think they are at the stage of pushing for a flag just yet, not many would be looking to leave, and Hawks would want to use their next pick (30 or so) in the draft.

I think 12-15 is fair if Barrass plays a few injury interrupted seasons before signing off.

If he plays 60+ games in the next 3 years it's an absolute steal for Hawthorn.

Players traded out by West Coast

• Willie Rioli - part of the megatrade, roughly received Ports F2 for him

• Tom Hickey (+ picks 34,60) - for picks 58,62 + F2,F3

• Callum Sinclair - for Lewis Jetta
• Matt Rosa - for pick 31

• Koby Stevens - for pick 43
• Lewis Stevenson - for pick 88

• Brad Ebert (+pick 45) - for picks 28,49

We also lost Quinten Lynch (2011), Scott Selwood (2015) and Scott Lycett (2018) as free agents

Not much of a sample size - 7 players traded out in 13 years but the Ebert trade still riles and to a lesser extent the Rioli trade. The others are really neither here nor there

We also declined Mitch Brown’s request to be traded to St Kilda in 2012 as he was still contracted and weren’t satisfied with the Saints offer

I posted this previously

Didn’t go further back than 2010 but we rarely trade players out, particularly good ones, so whatever people perceive our trade history to be it’s no real indicator of what we’ll do with Barrass

In fact the only real like for like comparison is our refusal to trade a contracted KPD because we weren’t happy with the trade offer

If we don't get offered well overs we keep him to his contract and conceded whatever pay increase we verbally agreed to previously.
Can't see this happening now.
The statement seemed pretty clear that they will just try to facilitate the trade while trying to get the best deal out of Hawthorn.
A big contrast to the reaction to Petracca wanting to leave, or being bitterly disappointed that Willie asked for a trade.

I expect a few dislikes thrown my way but difficult to see even Hawthorn throwing in DGB as a sweetener and they do not have a lot of draft capital. Don't think they are at the stage of pushing for a flag just yet so they won't be throwing away all their picks for ready made players, not many would be looking to leave, and Hawks would want to use their next pick (30 or so) in the draft.

Id want something, seeing all the values being thrown around like a late teens pick for Baker, 2x 1st rounders for Bolton, pick 6 for Rioli, a pick in the 20s for Noble, etc.

Taking 12-15 for Barrass is just settling for unders, hes not worth less than Rioli for example, and their situations are no different. Both have requested a trade and are seen as required by their destination clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 + f1 we pay tom's salary
I'd jump at this if it was an option. Especially if it was pay salary for (say) 1 year then 50% for another year. That's basically buying a F1st.

We are currently budgeted with TB as a contracted player. That's how we planned our finances. And we apparently have heaps of cap space even with that.
So paying his salary is a no impact move. We were planning on doing it anyway.

I know Hawks losing first final is what people want but that gives us pick 12 and not much else. Maybe a F2. I bet it becomes a F3

But
If Hawks win week one and lose week 2 then it's pick 14. F2 firms.

If Hawks make prelim or granny however, then it could be pick 16/17.....and that's when there F1 has to come into calculations.

It sounds like a lot of the negotiating is already done with an understanding, but I bet that was based on missing finals and a top 10 pick.

So would you rather?

pick 9 alone
Pick 11-13 and F3
Pick 14-16 and F2
Pick 17/18 and F1

In some way it might be better for us if they win the flag!!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hate to say it but if we get steak knives for TB we could probably get Dev Robertson!!!!
I know Hawks losing first final is what people want but that gives us pick 12 and not much else. Maybe a F2. I bet it becomes a F3

But
If Hawks win week one and lose week 2 then it's pick 14. F2 firms.

If Hawks make prelim or granny however, then it could be pick 16/17.....and that's when there F1 has to come into calculations.

It sounds like a lot of the negotiating is already done with an understanding, but I bet that was based on missing finals and a top 10 pick.

So would you rather?

pick 9 alone
Pick 11-13 and F3
Pick 14-16 and F2
Pick 17/18 and F1

In some way it might be better for us if they win the flag!!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's not about points it's about getting the players we want. A future first and 17 is disastrous compared to 12.

Tobie isn't going to be at 17 for instance.

From the makers of “we must give up the most red time goals in the league” comes “we are the softest team in the league at the trade table.”

Have a read of every other board let a best 22 player in Jarryd Lyons

Try being a Suns fan... about to pay Pick 6 for Daniel Rioli, not too long after they delisted a best 22 player in Jarryd Lyons with a year left to run on his contract... only for him to be picked up as a free agent by none other than their rivals Brisbane.

And we mustn't forget about that time they gave Cockburn Pick 2 for Lachie ****ing Weller.

The whole deal was Rioli, 2 and 40 for 8, 12 a future 2nd and a future 3rd.
Correct. Port got him for peanuts after the club huffed and puffed about he's worth a 1st rounder. They caved big time. The last real time I can remember the club getting a trade in its favour was Cripps from the saints.

Try being a Suns fan... about to pay Pick 6 for Daniel Rioli, not too long after they delisted a best 22 player in Jarryd Lyons with a year left to run on his contract... only for him to be picked up as a free agent by none other than their rivals Brisbane.

And we mustn't forget about that time they gave Cockburn Pick 2 for Lachie ****ing Weller.
Or paying a top 10 pick to salary dump Bowes. Or trading three picks in the 20s for pick 18 in their deal with us.

Most teams will be dissatisfied if they compare their return to what GC give. They’re not a real team, they exist to funnel high picks back to Victoria.

Id want something, seeing all the values being thrown around like a late teens pick for Baker, 2x 1st rounders for Bolton, pick 6 for Rioli, a pick in the 20s for Noble, etc.

Taking 12-15 for Barrass is just settling for unders, hes not worth less than Rioli for example, and their situations are no different. Both have requested a trade and are seen as required by their destination clubs.
If it weren't got Gold Coast holding pick 6 and the Suns having a history of giving away good picks like lollies at a kids' Christmas party, I reckon Rioli some of the news around Rioli might be a little more reasonable. That said, 12 + 30 is slightly better points-wise than pick 6 so I would expect Richmond to have to send something back the Suns' way if they were to get their hands on that pick.

And upon further research, they did a few questionable pick swaps a few years ago, the most notable trading Geelong Pick 27 for.... a future third.

Insane.

Correct. Port got him for peanuts after the club huffed and puffed about he's worth a 1st rounder. They caved big time. The last real time I can remember the club getting a trade in its favour was Cripps from the saints.

Oh please. Would you trade a 1st rounder for him? No one would.

The whole deal was Rioli, 2 and 40 for 8, 12 a future 2nd and a future 3rd.
2 for 8 & 12 still would've been done without Willie being involved, and F3 for 40 was just about banking our 3rd round pick.
It wasn't even enough to get the player we wanted lol.
It was pick 40 + F3 = Clay Hall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back