News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

They already have plenty of diversity, Joel Selwood for example doesn’t speak English.

The AFL commentary/presentation landscape is about as grim as any professional sport on earth. Anyone crying about this is soft as butter and desperate to be offended. Whatever moves the current crop along faster is best for everyone.
i dunno, its kind of like having quotas for diversity hires.

However, would be pretty interesting seeing furry doing play by play commentary. Even behind a mask, they would still be more coherent than Joel Selwood.

They already have plenty of diversity, Joel Selwood for example doesn’t speak English.

The AFL commentary/presentation landscape is about as grim as any professional sport on earth. Anyone crying about this is soft as butter and desperate to be offended. Whatever moves the current crop along faster is best for everyone.

No one is arguing the current state of afl commentary on tv isn’t rubbish. The seasons saviour has been Sen Sync which means the Tv is muted during most games..

The issue is do you want more Matt hills and Adam Papalias or more Kellie Underwood’s or some aflw justification hire on your commentary team because you won’t be getting both.

Hires should be best person for the job. Not your identifying features

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No one is arguing the current state of afl commentary on tv isn’t rubbish. The seasons saviour has been Sen Sync which means the Tv is muted during most games..

The issue is do you want more Matt hills and Adam Papalias or more Kellie Underwood’s or some aflw justification hire on your commentary team because you won’t be getting both.

Paris here we come, 9's efforts are shallow and at times embarrassing.

Best person as long as it’s not female, right? Cause that would be diversity hire. It’s not possible that someone who has played AFLW actually knows more about football than armchair experts, right?

We’ve been hiring ex-footballers for decades and the results have been shit. At this point, I’d try anything. Give me a non-binary transgender vegan over BT.

There has NEVER been a better time for some clever soul to invent a "commentary" mute button but the crowd noise remains.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a pretty standard option for most sound systems.

Best person as long as it’s not female, right? Cause that would be diversity hire. It’s not possible that someone who has played AFLW actually knows more about football than armchair experts, right?

We’ve been hiring ex-footballers for decades and the results have been shit. At this point, I’d try anything. Give me a non-binary transgender vegan over BT.
I wonder if BT's middle initial is L.

Have you ever seen BT and a non-binary transgender vegan in the same room?

I prefer commentators with both broadcasting talent and an understanding of the sport that enhances my insights and appreciation of the event. Phil Light in cyclinging is an example, perhaps Cometi. Non jump out in the current crop. Inclusivity filters can only weaken the field against my criteria.

There has NEVER been a better time for some clever soul to invent a "commentary" mute button but the crowd noise remains.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon it's something to do with the promotional stuff commentators do for other sports/shows etc.

Because otherwise it would be a no-brainer for somebody like Kayo to offer.

What a choice, Abbey Holmes shouting at you and rupturing your ear drums, or needing a translator to understand Jobe Watson or Concussion Selwood.

Can we just get better people regardless of physical appearance?
Abbey Holmes is arguably the best boundary rider going round for mine.

Isha Guha is one of the best cricket commentators going around so it can be done…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that there's probably not many UFC fans on this board/site, but they suffer from a similar problem that the AFL does; jobs for the boys in the special comments section - who are for the most part terrible. They have a couple of female special commentators; Laura Sanko and Megan Olivi and they both make all the blokes look even thicker than they are and provide outstanding insights, and it's all through hard work.

If the AFL could focus on finding quality commentators that work hard and provide a quality product instead of bog average hype-men, nepotism hires and ex-players who struggle to pronounced their own name then it'd be so much better to watch.

Pigs will probably fly first but it's nice to fantasise about.

I prefer commentators with both broadcasting talent and an understanding of the sport that enhances my insights and appreciation of the event. Phil Light in cyclinging is an example, perhaps Cometi. Non jump out in the current crop. Inclusivity filters can only weaken the field against my criteria.
If everyone we currently have is terrible why do you hate trying something different to give us a better outcome?

I know that there's probably not many UFC fans on this board/site, but they suffer from a similar problem that the AFL does; jobs for the boys in the special comments section - who are for the most part terrible. They have a couple of female special commentators; Laura Sanko and Megan Olivi and they both make all the blokes look even thicker than they are and provide outstanding insights, and it's all through hard work.

If the AFL could focus on finding quality commentators that work hard and provide a quality product instead of bog average hype-men, nepotism hires and ex-players who struggle to pronounced their own name then it'd be so much better to watch.

Pigs will probably fly first but it's nice to fantasise about.
The problem I think they don't understand is how many ex players have CTE or at least repeat concussion symptoms.
With the understanding we have now of head hits and what it does to speech etc having these guys barely coherent trying to string a sentence together is not a great advertisement for the game.

I don't mean that to be harsh but Alistair Lynch opened the commentary for the first game of the season up on the Gold Coast and I think he meant to say something along the lines "Good evening and welcome to the Gold Coast" and it was just a long drawn noise that escaped his mouth. Also Pav starts sentences and then he forgets half way through them where he is going and doesn't know how to end it so we get this waffling on until he feels he can call time on it.

I cant say I have heard Joel Selwood all that much but given the amount of times that guys been wiped out or used his head to draw a free I can imagine the result.

Keep Derm. I love him Dermsplaining the game to everyone. Highlight of the game is listening to him give you basics of the game in a voice that sounds like "you plebs won't get this so ill break it down real simple for ya".

The problem I think they don't understand is how many ex players have CTE or at least repeat concussion symptoms.
With the understanding we have now of head hits and what it does to speech etc having these guys barely coherent trying to string a sentence together is not a great advertisement for the game.

I don't mean that to be harsh but Alistair Lynch opened the commentary for the first game of the season up on the Gold Coast and I think he meant to say something along the lines "Good evening and welcome to the Gold Coast" and it was just a long drawn noise that escaped his mouth. Also Pav starts sentences and then he forgets half way through them where he is going and doesn't know how to end it so we get this waffling on until he feels he can call time on it.

I cant say I have heard Joel Selwood all that much but given the amount of times that guys been wiped out or used his head to draw a free I can imagine the result.

Keep Derm. I love him Dermsplaining the game to everyone. Highlight of the game is listening to him give you basics of the game in a voice that sounds like "you plebs won't get this so ill break it down real simple for ya".
I like Derm because he genuinely gets excited about opposition teams and players when they do well and doesn't relentlessly barrack for Vic teams.

Goes off on a tangent a lot but I don't mind it. He seems fair at least.

Selwood has a heap of problems stringing sentences together - usually just finding the correct words under the pressure of the live call just does not work for him.

The AFL's problem is they chase a big name to be special comments - and a lot of good footy players just aren't very smart, and if they are they've made a career post footy out of something more meaningful.

Drew Banfield was the best boundary rider there ever was.

If everyone we currently have is terrible why do you hate trying something different to give us a better outcome?
I didn't use the term terrible. I am keen for improvement - that would require informed change. None of the current AFL commentators are both talented broadcasters and have a strong ability to insightfully inform my game experience. ie deeper than what I see on the screen. I noted earlier that Isha Guha does so in cricket. As an example I also mentioned that Phill Liggett was in world road cycling. So it is achievable.

Last edited:
Isha Guha is one of the best cricket commentators going around so it can be done…

100% agree. She is fantastic. On the other hand you have the current Sky F1 coverage full of people who have never driven an F1 car telling us about what F1 drivers are feeling and thinking while racing. 🤦‍♀️

Who from West Coast has shat in Chris Waterman’s Wheeties? Bloody hell.

Bloke is absolutely as negative as anything about West Coast tonight on the ABC post game coverage. It is actually bizarre given how much the lads seem to get around Jake and the fact that his son is actually one of the players!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back