Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Good wins now almost make it worse

If we're capable of beating quality teams then what an utter waste of a season this has been. Tex's last one?
Yep.

That second quarter was brilliant Footy.

A pity they pick and choose when to do it. Players and coaches.

Passed me off.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep.

That second quarter was brilliant Footy.

A pity they pick and choose when to do it. Players and coaches.

Passed me off.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yup was like the Showdown when Sloane retired.... Everyone decided to get fair dinkum for a game and we looked good.

Shame its been so few and far between

Did Dawson hurt his calf?
He had it strapped

Seemed to spend a bit of extra time up forward. Appeared to be limping at one stage to me but still obviously played very well

Maybe just a knock?

What is the 'message' exactly, in your view? Attendance was good up until the bye, now it's poor. The most obvious messages to me are 'fans don't like losing' or 'fans don't like it when finals are off the table', which I'm not sure is really the message that most people on this board are looking to send the club. It's certainly not 'play the kids and focus on the future, results be damned'.
The message was exactly what I said - the "customers" (supporters) are not happy, and it's not just a small vocal minority.

Attendance was not up to expectations before the bye - the 37,000 for the Richmond game in prime time (and with the first freeze at AO) must (should) have come as a massive shock. Yes they got over 41,000 for the Sydney game, but that was with a LOT of Sydney supporters in the house. Under 30,000 supporters for a Saturday night is a complete disaster, even considering it's GWS.

Now I deliberately did not speculate why supporters have stayed away (you have done that yourself). But seeing as you have already chipped in, I'll just add my own hypothesis.

We are on the path to five years with no finals appearances under this current regime (after a severely quarantined review and blood letting following two years of hell). The coach has been extended two years after what has arguably been the worst period in the clubs history, and we continue to hear the lame excuses of injuries, and the list isn't up to it... the list this regime is primarily responsible for putting together and "developing" (that latter term is very loosely applied). The executive has conducted a review, not disclosed the workings or reasons behind it, but come to the conclusion that all is fine and no major changes need to be made. The whole organization seems to be aimless, arrogant and dismissive, just hoping that by chance things get better, and their customers keep coming along and paying the bills in the meantime - while watching some of the most ugly, low skill, low scoring brand of football you can imagine being played.

The fans have been beyond patient, but after watching this garbage for so long, someone has to take responsibility for this and there has to be REAL change - otherwise whatever hope they have for the team improving has disappeared. If the team seriously doesn't give a crap about under-performing for so long, why the hell should the supporters give a crap about the team anymore?

There's your message!

Last edited:
Ugly: the sub rule, reckoned it ruined Grigg and Lyons for us, could nearly have done Berry in for us, let’s hope it doesn’t do Taylor in now.
The worst ****ing rule in the history of our sport, to have a perfectly fit player sit and watch the game and not be able to come on for fear of an injury or not be able to come back on once subbed is insane.
Yeah the sub is a sh1t rule. I think they should reduce the interchanges and add an extra player on the bench for a total of 5. Then no excuses for injuries imho

The message was exactly what I said - the "customers" (supporters) are not happy, and it's not just a small vocal minority.

Attendance was not up to expectations before the bye - the 37,000 for the Richmond game in prime time (and with the first freeze at AO) must (should) have come as a massive shock. Yes they got over 41,000 for the Sydney game, but that was with a LOT of Sydney supporters in the house. Under 30,000 supporters for a Saturday night is a complete disaster, even considering it's GWS.
It was pouring rain for 3 days prior, freezing, against one of, if not the worst supported club in Adelaide. When many people travel to get out of the cold and aren't even in Adelaide.

There's a reason the AFL runs with the free kids in July School holiday tactic. People are in Queensland, people are overseas on holiday.

Yes it was a pathetic crowd. But you're severely mis-diagnosing why it was so. Thank god you're not my doctor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back