Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Worrell comes straight back in to the AFL side. One in the SANFL for mine. Too valuable an asset. Too long out.

Dawson is officially out with concussion.

Butts and Murray obviously both gone. Everything crossed for Murray to be anything other than an ACL tear.

Out:
Murray, Butts, Dawson, Smith, Himmelberg

In:
Curtin, Borlase, Walker, Ryan, Jones (plus Cook into the 22)

Sub:
Jones

Edit: if Keays gets suspended, Jones comes into the 22, and Schoenberg slots into the sub role
Reckon Worrell's a good chance. They've been talking up his fitness/running saying he's ready to go.

Ignoring yet to be confirmed injuries.

Out - Smith, Dawson (inj), Keays (susp)

In - Jones, Curtin, Cook

Sub role open and happy with a debutant as long as they get half a game. Even better if it’s Murphy as pre-planned sub.

Keays will go under the ‘potential to cause injury’ rule that we don’t hear much about these days. But the AFL will definitely act against vision that saw a head hit the ground like that. Its akin to the moisture spray from McAdams bump.

I thoght one of robs better games tonite

He just stops our midfield flow so often because he can’t react at all - being so robotic. Played okay tonight - and tries hard - but for all the Murphy bashing on here (which I totally understand) the biggest single upgrade on our team is ROB being replaced by almost anyone else. Even a Ivan Maric/ Rhett Biglands type would be an upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No unforced changes:

Club will go:

Out: Murray / Butts / Keays / Dawson

In: Curtin / Borlase / McHenry / Jones.

I would do:

Out: Murray / Butts / Keays / Dawson

IN: Curtin / Borlase / Ryan / Schoenberg

Keays won’t even get cited - let alone suspended

Ignoring yet to be confirmed injuries.

Out - Smith, Dawson (inj), Keays (susp)

In - Jones, Curtin, Cook

Sub role open and happy with a debutant as long as they get half a game. Even better if it’s Murphy as pre-planned sub.

Keays will go under the ‘potential to cause injury’ rule that we don’t hear much about these days. But the AFL will definitely act against vision that saw a head hit the ground like that. Its akin to the moisture spray from McAdams bump.

I am glad I am not the only one still bitter about McAdams suspension!
And while I don’t think Keays gets anything because the bloke passed the HIA - you just never know, we usually cope the maximum for whichever offence one of players does

Don't think Smith is going anywhere especially with a couple of defensive injuries. Assuming Keays will be fine also. The only unforced change I can see would be Walker for Himmelberg though that one is tricky as Thilthorpe not having to ruck is a bonus. Main question is whether all four talls can work in the same team.

Curtin and Borlase come in for Murray and Butts assuming both are injured, with Curtin to play the third tall role. Outside chance of Worrell but I assume we won't be rushing him back.

For Dawson I assume it will be Jones, with a re-shuffle of roles and probably a new sub.

In: Walker, Curtin, Borlase, Jones
Out: Himmelberg, Murray, Butts, Dawson

He just stops our midfield flow so often because he can’t react at all - being so robotic. Played okay tonight - and tries hard - but for all the Murphy bashing on here (which I totally understand) the biggest single upgrade on our team is ROB being replaced by almost anyone else. Even a Ivan Maric/ Rhett Biglands type would be an upgrade

The reason Murphy is bashed is because there’s always been players worthy of giving a couple of games to and us not going backwards at all. Currently we have Dowling and Taylor doing well enough in the 1s and neither could push past Murphy’s rubbish and instead relied on injury elsewhere. If not for those injuries, they’d still be in the 2s watching Murphy spud it up.

The reason Murphy is bashed is because there’s always been players worthy of giving a couple of games to and us not going backwards at all. Currently we have Dowling and Taylor doing well enough in the 1s and neither could push past Murphy’s rubbish and instead relied on injury elsewhere. If not for those injuries, they’d still be in the 2s watching Murphy spud it up.

I think he's now become the most prolific diver in football. Another string to his bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg won't be dropped unless Strachan is considered as a forward/chop out ruck/bench and that's very unlikely.

In my changes I forgot about Tex in for Berg. I don’t really want Berg out as I don’t think TT is ready to relief ruck up the ground though. We might get away with playing 4 tall forwards against a travelling Hawks outfit though. But if it’s Tex in for Murphy, I’m keen to see how it looks.

What I think will happen:

OUT: Murray (inj), Butts (inj), Dawson (inj), Himmelberg (omit)
IN: Worrell, Borlase, Curtin, Walker

Walker was "managed" (rested) this week, and I expect he should return next week. Berg had a good month before last night (which was definitely a poor game from him). Berg doesn't deserve to be dropped, but will be.

I am hoping that Keays will escape suspension, given that the Essendon player wasn't concussed, had an arm free to protect himself, and his own momentum contributed significantly to his head hitting the ground in the first place.

I can't see them making any unforced changes to a winning side, other than bringing Walker back in.

Additional changes that I would like to see, but don't expect to happen:

OUT: Smith
IN: Hamill

I would also like to see Murphy dropped, but I don't see any viable replacements, so he stays in by default. Schoenberg and McFumbles are not viable replacements in my eyes.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Himmelberg won't be dropped unless Strachan is considered as a forward/chop out ruck/bench and that's very unlikely.
Berg will almost certainly be replaced by Walker, with TT doing the support ruck duties (possibly with Walker taking some of the ruck contests in our forward line).

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Curtin needs to come in and play the role that Dawson has been playing. He's that tall midfield option that can be your intercept marking defender in the later stages of the quarter. Give him a run in the middle with the likes of Soligo, Taylor, Berry & Dowling and back him in. Dawson has been playing forward at times as well so throw him forward when possible.

Himmelberg can go back with Butts & Murray out with injuries. Tex to replace Berg in the forward half with Berg still being the 2nd ruck option so we can leave Thilthorpe up forward 100% game time

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Back