Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

An omniscient, benevolent God would not play Curtin in Defence ...

Nicks, however .... :rolleyesv1:
Murray should get up and they will just play Keane and Muz and maybe drop Dawson back to defence imo. The other option is Borlase if Muz doesn't get up. Woz a week or two away. Butts lisfranc doesn't sound good, getting a lot of injuries the last 18 months. We definitely need to bring in a KPD in the trade and maybe 2 if Keane goes.

Last edited:
What was the injury? Looked like he was just winded. Might have bruised a rib I suppose.
He was hip-and-shouldered early in the game, side-on, solid hit, fair.
Smith thanked Laird on TV7 after the game for the hospital handball; he said it with a half-smile but ...

I think the hit slowed him down.

Murray should get up and they will just play Keane and Muz and maybe drop Dawson back to defence imo. The other option is Borlase if Muz doesn't get up. Woz a week or two away. Butts lisfranc doesn't sound good, getting a lot of injuries the last 18 months. We definitely need to bring in a KPD in the trade and maybe 2 if Keane goes.
Dawson isn't playing

After last Friday's game, the only place Himmelberg should be is in the SANFL until traded to GWS if they would want him to play in their VFL side.
Bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Yes, Berg had a bad game on Friday, but he'd been playing well for a month before that. Deserves a chance to redeem himself.

Looks likely that he'll be shifted to defence, with Walker returning to the forward line. I can live with that.

Curtin needs to come in and play the role that Dawson has been playing. He's that tall midfield option that can be your intercept marking defender in the later stages of the quarter. Give him a run in the middle with the likes of Soligo, Taylor, Berry & Dowling and back him in. Dawson has been playing forward at times as well so throw him forward when possible.
Sensible, smart idea --- Nicks won't think of it, though.

Here's my suggested changes:
  • Butts out is an obvious one; Borlase in is pretty like for like.
  • Murray out (take absolutely no chances with him - he's a key pillar of the team for the next decade); Walker comes in to give us maximum firepower up front and in recognition that the Hakws are not tall up forward so we don't need too many KPDs. Not sure if he's available but Worrell is too important to rush back.
  • Dawson out; Curtin in...you know it makes sense.

Defensive match-ups:
  • Keane on Chol is a nice match-up...should be able to match him for agility and height.
  • Borlase taking Dear gives James every chance to perform well...covers him for size and they're both pretty inexperienced so you'd hope to keep him to 1-2 goals max. and limited impact.
  • Bond on Watson would also be a good test for Bond...he did such a good job on Higgins first up and I felt small defender was the right slot for him. Was a bit surprised he pushed him up the ground to be a full-on tagger with Merrett which was understandably a struggle. Hoping he can lockdown on Watson and again not let him be a three-goal matchwinner.
  • Michalanney on Breust. I think this is the key matchup and for the Hawks to kick a winning score they'll need Breust to kick multiple goals.
  • Nankervis on Ginnivan. Like Breust I think this is critical and so I think we need one of our best on him and I just don't trust Smith to get the job done.
  • I'd be keeping Himmelberg in the team to continue to protect TT from having to do ruck duties. Given that - and with Walker coming back in - Berg becomes the swingman doing 2nd ruck, filling in down back if Keane/Borlase need a rest and allowing us to stretch the Hawks up forward if we can.
  • Let the kids have the run of the centre square - start with Soligo, Berry and Taylor and see how we go. If we don't get smashed in the middle and they don't walk it out of our forward line on rebound then I have some confidence that we can kick a winning score and their forward line is not that intimidating.
Team:

FF: Murphy - Walker - Thilthorpe
HF: Keays - Fogarty - Rachele
C: Curtin - Soligo - Sholl
FOLL: O'Brien - Berry - Taylor
HB: Hinge - Keane - Nankervis
FB: Bond - Borlase - Michalanney
INT: Smith - Dowling - Laird - Himmelberg
SUB: Cook
Is Moore out for them...destroyed us a few weeks back? Need a lock down defender on him - not Smith or Nank.

Also directly responsible for the last 10 minutes where we won the match.
Jen, nearly every poster I've read has commented favorably about ROB's very good last 10 minutes, and the fact that he was garbage in the first and third quarters,
PLUS
his miss for goal and the 2-goal turnaround after that miss stopped our momentum and nearly cost us the game.

Similarly, we all saw that Rachele's beautiful, reflexive snap for goal was a thrilling match-winner but he was not one of our best players on the day.
Neither was ROB --- those 10 good minutes were terrific in the context of the last 10 minutes, but in the context of the game, ROB was poor more often than he was good.
Also, wouldn't it have been so much better for the team and us watching if ROB had been a force all game AND THEN lifted in those final minutes?

Every time someone posts negatively about a player, or Nicks, you come in with "Oh, but he did this one good thing... or ... he had 10 good minutes".
Smith, Murphy, ROB, Rachele all had games containing more bad than good.

Out - Dawson, Murray, Butts, Smith, Berg
In - Curtin, Tex, Jones, Borlase

Not sure whether TT will relief ruck, maybe Borlase might take a few in defence and we’ll run Murphy back there to cover the extra ground opponent. Not sure how we use Curtin. And Smith making way is obviously just blind optimism. I can’t even be bothered suggesting an in for Murphy whilst Smith is crabbing around contributing nothing of worth week in and week out.

Is Moore out for them...destroyed us a few weeks back? Need a lock down defender on him - not Smith or Nank.
It's a very good point...they have a plethora of quality small forwards which probably exceeds our supply of true lockdown small/med defenders (esp. with Hamill out injured). Unfortunately Smith, Nankervis and Hinge are going to need to match up on some of Watson, Breust, Ginnivan, Moore, Macdonald, Hardwick at various stages...this is definitely Hawthorn's path to victory and potentially their ability to rebound quickly out of defence if we go tall in attack.

Edit: there's possibly cause for a recall for Jones this weekend to address this issue...could see him replacing either Himmelberg or Cook if the selectors wanted to go that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jen, nearly every poster I've read has commented favorably about ROB's very good last 10 minutes, and the fact that he was garbage in the first and third quarters,
PLUS
his miss for goal and the 2-goal turnaround after that miss stopped our momentum and nearly cost us the game.

Similarly, we all saw that Rachele's beautiful, reflexive snap for goal was a thrilling match-winner but he was not one of our best players on the day.
Neither was ROB --- those 10 good minutes were terrific in the context of the last 10 minutes, but in the context of the game, ROB was poor more often than he was good.
Also, wouldn't it have been so much better for the team and us watching if ROB had been a force all game AND THEN lifted in those final minutes?

Every time someone posts negatively about a player, or Nicks, you come in with "Oh, but he did this one good thing... or ... he had 10 good minutes".

Disagree with Rachele. 7 score involvements , 21 pressure acts 3 goals - and created 2 with his pressure
He had a good game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Moore had a career game against us last time. Can't remember who we played on him last time but obviously didn't work. Bond or Max would be my guess this week. No interest in either getting their own ball if they shut him out. The other one can go to ginnivan, wouldn't expect him to play like he did vs pies this week.

Would put Nank to Watson, he's not got much to his game and Nank could just run off him.

Sicily is absolutely cooked with that shoulder, hopefully some good body spoiling on him this weekend.

Moore had a career game against us last time. Can't remember who we played on him last time but obviously didn't work. Bond or Max would be my guess this week. No interest in either getting their own ball if they shut him out. The other one can go to ginnivan, wouldn't expect him to play like he did vs pies this week.

Would put Nank to Watson, he's not got much to his game and Nank could just run off him.

Sicily is absolutely cooked with that shoulder, hopefully some good body spoiling on him this weekend.
Smith played on him last time.

I would put MM on ginnivan and bond on watson

Edit: forgot laird could also play back there

I would put MM on ginnivan and bond on watson

Edit: forgot laird could also play back there
Moore is far more damaging than anyone else in that forward line and we need to focus on him firstly. Watson has only scored more than 1 goal in a game twice. Not worth worrying about considering their other weapons

Who are they gonna put on the superstar Ben Keays?

Some severe underrating of Watson going on here...he's one of the best, smartest and most dangerous smalls to come through the draft in the last 4 or 5 years hence why he went so high in the draft despite his size.

Some severe underrating of Watson going on here...he's one of the best, smartest and most dangerous smalls to come through the draft in the last 4 or 5 years hence why he went so high in the draft despite his size.
Kid has talent but isn't the finished product and Ginni & Moore are more important is more my point. Do you think Watson is more damaging than those 2 at this point?

Kid has talent but isn't the finished product and Ginni & Moore are more important is more my point. Do you think Watson is more damaging than those 2 at this point?
All I know is if he turns it on whoever gets ther job will be seriously challenged, I've seen him stand on ruckmen's heads and his smartness around goal is unquestionable, can sniff a goal.

PLUS

Not every time at all, and there’s plenty that didn’t recognise the good stuff. And I absolutely disagree that Rachele had more bad than good. Watch it again, you are being way too harsh. Rob was also up against two genuine ruckmen. I reckon he too did more good than bad. Our biggest problem with him is his inconsistent marking around the ground. That’s what we need from him. I agree with you re Smith and Murphy though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Back