Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo have picks 7 and 10. Maybe trade for one of those and get another crack at a top tier midfielder in this year's draft.
I'm good friends with an ex WCE player.

He told me that the Eagles are into Curtain big time. They've seen what he can do in the WAFL and the are watching very closely how we treat time.

You just know that he'll go back to WA and become a star.

Every team has one. Go to every board and read the same gripes week in week out. There are role players that we will just never understand… and thats why we are behind keyboards and not coaching at afl level.
There is a danger though in that type of thinking, and that is if there are better options then do U keep playing the spud cause every team has one. That is a recipe for disaster.
If there are better players then play them.

Last edited:
if anyone listened to Jack Hombsch yesterday — and nicks for that matter — it was clear, to those who have taken note of the messaging the club rolls out, that Curtin isn’t playing on Sunday. Bar an injury or late out, of course.

Last edited:
Over the last few weeks we have seen Dawson start at half forward, move on ball, then float back as an extra defender.
Why can't Curtin do the same? He doesn't have to be full time midfield. Maybe he plays a bit forward, a bit wing, has a run over the ground on ball, swings to half back for a bit.
Just let him play.

Would be a great opportunity to play him wing and push Dowling more on ball.

There are many options to play Curtin. To not do so would just be utter stupidity.

If Curtin isnt picked, I’m taking that as confirmation the coaches just don’t trust him. And when you consider guys like Jones, Smith and Murph are picked regardless of form, it probably also confirms they just don’t rate him much at all.
I think it says more about the intelligence level of the coaches.

I'm good friends with an ex WCE player.

He told me that the Eagles are into Curtain big time. They've seen what he can do in the WAFL and the are watching very closely how we treat time.

You just know that he'll go back to WA and become a star.

I am sure they are, I don't think you need to be an ex player to know that but like us with Phillipou I don't really get it.

He was only drafted less than 12.months ago. The rumours were they tried to do a pick swap but even so if they were so desperate to get him they would of tried harder. As I said I am sure they would love him but they didn't do everything they could to draft him 9 months ago.

If Curtin isnt picked, I’m taking that as confirmation the coaches just don’t trust him. And when you consider guys like Jones, Smith and Murph are picked regardless of form, it probably also confirms they just don’t rate him much at all.
Or, wait for it, he’s a 197cm player that will be a slower burn than others? It’s nothing earth shattering or requiring conspiracy theories. He’s been voted our best afl listed player two weeks in a row by the coaches, so they’re clearly happy with what they are seeing in a new role.

His work off the ball is what keeps getting mentioned as his major improvement (which has been noticeable all season even to me), they know he’s class with ball in hand.

I would still pick him this week, but I’m also not going to start running with conspiracy theories if he doesn’t.

Or, wait for it, he’s a 197cm player that will be a slower burn than others? It’s nothing earth shattering or requiring conspiracy theories. He’s been voted our best afl listed player two weeks in a row by the coaches, so they’re clearly happy with what they are seeing in a new role.

His work off the ball is what keeps getting mentioned as his major improvement (which has been noticeable all season even to me), they know he’s class with ball in hand.

I would still pick him this week, but I’m also not going to start running with conspiracy theories if he doesn’t.
Yup, that’s my point. At the very least, they don’t trust him defensively. Yet.

But somehow they trust the spuds who get games over and over.

We are 14th and still rebuilding. Just play the kid and keep him in.

The problem is that our coaches stifle creative, attacking players. They are too defensively minded. Nicks comes from the Sydney bloods culture, when it was all about the dour defensive stuff.

It’s nicks’ coaching philosophies that are ruining the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you're layering on the mayo way too thick.
A pick 8 mid/wing, he is not an AFL key defender, should have played at least 10 games.

And given he was touted as a top 4 pick, a RS nom is not unreasonable.

They let him play his natural wing/mid role in SANFL the last two weeks, and is doing well.

Should have been doing that from round 1 in the AFL.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely if Nicks wasn’t going to pick Curtin, he wouldn’t be in the squad.

Highly rated first round pick, he had one go and played out of position, needs another shot in a position he has excelled at.

Season is shot anyway. What’s the risk?
That's just it, down back is where he excelled in the WAFL colts, WAFL seniors and at the Nationals so it's understandable that's where he was tried early on.

The problem is that our coaches stifle creative, attacking players. They are too defensively minded. Nicks comes from the Sydney bloods culture, when it was all about the dour defensive stuff.

Don't trust him defensively?

Yet Murphy plays every week.

Murphy being a defensive player is a myth.

It's a simple equation.
Is Curtin better than Murphy? The answer is obviously yes, so play him to get experience and strengthen the side at the same time.

Last edited:
I remember back in the early days of joining this board that there would be many of these same reactions if Craigy didn’t play Tex. Tex has said many times that those early lessons under Craigy were very important in his development, which I’m sure is the type of advise he would give young players like Curtin that come through the club and aren’t instantly best 22.

Curtin doesn’t seem to be on social media much, so I’m guessing he’s far more accepting of where he’s at in his development and what it will take to become a regular AFL player.

Surely if Nicks wasn’t going to pick Curtin, he wouldn’t be in the squad.

Highly rated first round pick, he had one go and played out of position, needs another shot in a position he has excelled at.

Season is shot anyway. What’s the risk?
Crows can mathematically still make the 8, thats Nicks thinking currently. :drunk:

I remember back in the early days of joining this board that there would be many of these same reactions if Craigy didn’t play Tex. Tex has said many times that those early lessons under Craigy were very important in his development, which I’m sure is the type of advise he would give young players like Curtin that come through the club and aren’t instantly best 22.

Curtin doesn’t seem to be on social media much, so I’m guessing he’s far more accepting of where he’s at in his development and what it will take to become a regular AFL player.
Key difference being Tex is a Norwood man as well as a massive Crows supporter.

He loved Craigy and loved playing for Norwood as much as playing for the Crows.

Not everyone is as loyal as Tex though. Gunston and Davis didn't bother sticking around when they copped the same treatment.

Don't trust him defensively?

Yet Murphy plays every week.

Murphy being a defensive player is a myth.

Correct.

Only 7 pressure acts, 2 tackles (both outside of the forward 50), 0 clearances and 3 FA in 115 minutes of ground time last week.

A pick 8 mid/wing, he is not an AFL key defender, should have played at least 10 games.

And given he was touted as a top 4 pick, a RS nom is not unreasonable.

They let him play his natural wing/mid role in SANFL the last two weeks, and is doing well.

Should have been doing that from round 1 in the AFL.

wtf are you on about? He’s the same height as Butts and Murray and on par with pretty much most KP heights.

His main position was KPD, but he also had good games as a mid, it’s not surprising to see him trialed for extended periods in both positions to workout his best position long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Back