Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies were in the same spot in 2013… brought in value players like howe, crisp,

Drafted value players like Maynard,

A bit of luck needed… but with retiring veterans sone serious cap will be freed up for free agents

… playing for a big club with Fly as coach is a plus for attracting talent ✅

Pendles was 26 yo (pick5)in prime,
Steele 25 yo (pick 10)in prime,
26yo T.Cloke kicked 51 goals 190 Marks and was unstoppable in air AA level CHF.
Pick 8 Ben Reid was 24yo hitting prime years.
Pick 18 B.Grundy 20yo ruck taking AFL by storm.
Star D.Swan still 29yo.

Didak Shaw Thomas etc moving on helping secure Adams etc.

Degoey Pick 5 and Moore pick 8 come in 2014.

The Age and talent demographics are completely different.

Pies were in the same spot in 2013… brought in value players like howe, crisp,

Drafted value players like Maynard,

A bit of luck needed… but with retiring veterans sone serious cap will be freed up for free agents

… playing for a big club with Fly as coach is a plus for attracting talent ✅
Look at all the premierships won in the last 20 years. The reality is unless you nail a first round draft pick, you’re never going to win a premiership (role players don’t win premierships). The last first round draft pick Hine nailed (if you rule out father - sons) is Scott Pendlebury. That was almost 20 years ago. We pay these guys a huge amount of money to pick the best players in the draft and if they fail year after year, how do they keep their jobs?

You don't need to rant and rave but sure drop players and take a squad mentality those performing best play. Yet for.some reason the club was allergic to it earlier. Strange considering the brutality the axe was wielded last year. I.e. Noble ginnivan (can we have him back?) and lipinski demoted to sub in gf

It's easier to make those hard calls when you've got viable replacements. Been down to 5-6 AFL listed players at times this year at VFL level.

It's actually insane that we've been significantly worse and less connected as the senior players have been making their way back in

Pendlebury prior to hurting his arm was genuinely looking like turning the clock back

Since coming back he looks borderline average. At best. But given our track record this year, we most likely brought him back early and he's playing injured.

The on-going strapping might be a clue that he's less than 100%. Still among our best today in terms of his impact.

So I’m saying thanks for the career Steele and Howie. I’m giving Pendles one more but as a forward pinch hitting in the mid. Need him to be that on field coach and he’s still av good player who deserves a spot.

Markov gone, one of Reef or AJ gone, one of Steene or Begg gone. That’s five plus JC forced retirement and possibly Krueger he’s body might just say enough.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Finn asks for a trade in fact I wouldn’t blame him if he did. So without even trying that’s a fair few gone.

WHE lucky, same as Noble

Pendles was 26 yo (pick5)in prime,
Steele 25 yo (pick 10)in prime,
26yo T.Cloke kicked 51 goals 190 Marks and was unstoppable in air AA level CHF.
Pick 8 Ben Reid was 24yo hitting prime years.
Pick 18 B.Grundy 20yo ruck taking AFL by storm.
Star D.Swan still 29yo.

Didak Shaw Thomas etc moving on helping secure Adams etc.

Degoey Pick 5 and Moore pick 8 come in 2014.

The Age and talent demographics are completely different.

Yep. Part of the reason I think we are heading completely for a Eagles’esque cliff.

It doesn’t help that Hine couldn’t find an elite top 30 pick, let alone a late diamond in the rough, if his life depended on it.

there is a player development issue at the club .... picks from the draft proper are not coming through as expected ..... whilst SSP, mid-season pick-ups* are by comparison over-represented in team selection

just an observation - make of it what you will ...... im off before getting abused by long-termers :p
Absolutely this. It's the one issue I have with Fly. For an ex-development coach to consistently sub Macrae/Reef in and out of games then drop them and barely give them time to settle in whilst relying heavily on SSPs and wasting match experience on them when they barely produce better is a big issue.

Add to that pushing a clearly talented but not fully developed player in Ginnivan out instead of trying to nurture that talent is a red flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, it was horrible today.

Now we can be safely sure we won't make an impact this year. So what are we looking forward to?

Has to be development of players. I want to see --
Reef McGuiness,
Kreugar (if his head hasn't fallen off),
Fin MacRae,
Jiath,
Long,
Sullivan,
Dean,
Bytel
Even Ash Johnson.

-- all to play serious game time from now on.

Then, some more tactical nouse from the coaches.

Some positional shifts. New players in the midfield consistently. Some others to play in defence: McGuinness, Johnson, are two.

Find out what we have now.

THEN: we need to get back into the draft. So trades are on the table for many players over 28 I reckon.

If Ginnivan had put that level of effort in when he played for us he’d still be with us.

He treated today like his GF instead of the one he got to play in last September.

He’s the class clown, I personally don’t miss him at all. Even after today.

I actually don’t think he finishes his career at Hawthorn OR if he does, it will be not of his choosing.

Happy to move anyone on who is past it, but unfortunately Pendlebury is probably top 5 Copeland at this stage, and you don’t move on your best players no matter how old they are.

Pendlebury has never had pace.

More then pace issue with pendles and he was never overtly slow either he ran a 2.92 20m time.

Also his start to year was well down on form then he hit a purple 6 game patch mid season until the biceps Injury and hasn't looked near it imo since.
Is getting burnt at stoppage bad.

Think he will go around again but hope we look to move him into a new role maybe forward.

We really do look old, slow, lack hunger and general talent across the field. The gameplan has been fully pulled apart, the old stars are struggling and the role players are being found wanting.

I said earlier in the Game Day thread that I have no idea how Hine is the only one left from the Maguire era.

I have no idea why we kept a head recruiter who is allergic to recruiting key position players and genuine class that isn't father son.

We have butchered a staggering amount of first round picks under Hine.

That 2013 Draft is absolutely HAUNTING when you go back and look at what we took and what went after what we took.

• Patrick Cripps
  • Zach Merrett
  • Alex Pearce
  • Aliir Aliir
  • Nick Holman
  • James Sicily
  • Karl Amon

That's just the main ones. All came well after our first two pick inside the Top 10

Some of those even came after our LATER picks.
I have been saying pretty much what you have stated so eloquently. OK. I am still absolutely amazed how Derek Hine has kept his job. When I think about the selections of Schareburg & Freeman, respectively, when compared to what was available to us over those 2 picks & especially Patrick Cripps, then I am simply amazed. Then we had the Dayne Beams recruiting debacle & so & so on. Finally, I do not understand Collingwood's aversion to recruiting key position players. I think that the last time that we recruited key position players was in the 2006 AFL National Draft when we drafted Reid Dawes & the other guy who played full back in the 2010 Premiership team. Regardless, we are totally finished for 2024 on today's form. OK. Goodnight & good luck.

there is a player development issue at the club .... picks from the draft proper are not coming through as expected ..... whilst SSP, mid-season pick-ups* are by comparison over-represented in team selection

just an observation - make of it what you will ...... im off before getting abused by long-termers :p

Totally agree. Mentioned it in a private message earlier to day to another BF poster.

Like, McGuinness, Macrae, Dean, Johnson, .... and many more .... all stalled.

McCreery and Schultz big omissions as well. Our forwards just aren't locking the footy inside our F50 without them.

The main reason for this is that the ball is up the other end of the ground. We've gone from best in the league to worst in the league at transitioning the footy. System is done - back to the drawing board for the coaching crew.

So I’m saying thanks for the career Steele and Howie. I’m giving Pendles one more but as a forward pinch hitting in the mid. Need him to be that on field coach and he’s still av good player who deserves a spot.

Markov gone, one of Reef or AJ gone, one of Steene or Begg gone. That’s five plus JC forced retirement and possibly Krueger he’s body might just say enough.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Finn asks for a trade in fact I wouldn’t blame him if he did. So without even trying that’s a fair few gone.

WHE lucky, same as Noble

Pretty spot on IMO. Agree with all those changes.

Pendleberry should go on. But his days as a starting square mid are done. He should be the onfield coach from a back or forward flank.

Our list of players under 25:

Carmichael - Retired
Richards - He's had a decent year, turning 25
Murphy - Retired
Quaynor - Having a terrible season
Mcreery - Was about to be dropped before his injury
Dean - Might be okay with more preseasons
Macrae - Will be delisted
Parker - Not sure
Begg - Delisted
Eyre - Not sure, hasn't started well in the VFL, injury prone.
Mcinnes - Not trusted by the coaches, struggles to have an impact. Could still make it

Nick Daicos - Gifted F/S. GOAT

Ned Long - Potential delisting
Ryan potential delisting

Steene - Too early to say
Harrison - Had a few good games and a few poor ones

Allan/Jiath/Demattia/Smit too early to say

Basically, get ready for a big rebuild lads.

More then just Murphy
Tom Mitchell ??? He did a power of work in the packs for you guys last year like he did for us , would’ve suited him today. You guys are a bit off tap at the moment with a lot of injuries and guys like De Goey not fully fit and Moore playing the worst football of his career I reckon. Can turn around quickly though. All the best .

Only at Collingwood can our players clash heads with the opposition and both times ours are ruled off with concussion with the other 2 staying on the field the entire time.
While I’m glad we’re taking a welfare stance first independent doctors can’t come soon enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back