Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is this club Hawthorn’s bitch.

5 - 15 over the past 20 games and
19 - 31 over the past 50

What is it about the brown and gold that has spooked Collingwood since the 1980’s?

No no you’re wrong mate.

Apparently history means nothing or so I’m told

When I tried to tell everyone Hawthron has had the wood on us for 40 years it was all my imagination

25 wins out of 70 games since 1980 but it’s all my imagination

Only Naicos (24 disposals, 5 tackles, 6 Clearances, 4 R50’s 8 SI’s, 1 goal) & JDG (16 disposals, 3 tackles, 7 clearances, 2 r50’s, 568MG, 4 SI’s & 1 goal) provided any semblance of consistency over 4 quarters

Unfortunately the team bus remained full with lots of passengers. Our midfield and defence were individually and collectively poor. Oleg had 3 kicks, with 88% TOG with 53MG, Noble had 4 kicks with 80% TOG with 180MG, Long had 4 kicks with 93MG with 75% TOG, Bobby had 7 kicks, 170MG with 90% TOG, IQ had 8 kicks with 5 clangers & Maynard had 12 kicks with 9 direct turnovers

Our goal kicking was extremely poor with 7 goals missed from within 30m with minimal angle to speak of

Our chances of making the finals now based on equations, is reportedly just under 10%. Based on current form. Our season is on life support – some may say we are dead, we just don’t know it yet

It was reported pre-season players were running & lifting PB’s and fit. However 3 early losses were blamed on our players not being fit enough due a delayed start to pre-season training, then an early start to the actual season. The post-season Premiership documentary was considered to be a major distraction

For most part of the season we were under the false impression that we were travelling nicely and if not for the injuries we would be top 2 and vying for back to back

However reality shows we have never really got going. For most part of the season we have played a quarter here or there where we have absolutely demolished the opposition.

R0 – GWS. We kicked 5 goals in the last
R3 - BL. We kicked 5 goals in the 1st & 3rd quarters
R4 – Hawks. We kicked 5 goals in the 2nd to lead by 38 points at ½ time. We won by 2 points
R 5 – PA. We kicked 6 goals in the 2nd & 5 in the 3rd quarter
R 8 – Car. We kicked 5 goals in the 2nd quarter
R 9 – WCE. We kicked 7 goals in the 2nd quarter – but kicked only 4 goals after ½ time
R11 – Freo. We kicked 5 goals in the 3rd quarter to lead by 25 points – game drawn
R12 – WB – We kicked 5 goals in thew 1st quarter – but kicked only 4 goals after ½ time to lose
R14 – NM. We kicked 6 goals in both the 3rd & last quarters to win by 1 point
R16 – GCS. We kicked 5 goals in the last quarter
R17 – Ess. We kicked 5 goals in the 1st quarter – but kicked only 4 goals after ½ time to lose

For other parts of the game, we have been poor, we had no run or intensity & our zone defence system had more holes than Swiss cheese whereby when the opposition kicked a goal, there was a run on of goals which we were unable to stop or change our game style during the quarter

R0 – GWS. GWS kicked 5 goals in both of the 1st & 2nd quarters
R1 – Syd. Swans kicked 5 goals in both of the 3rd & last quarters
R2 – StK. Saints kicked 5 goals in both of the 1st & 3rd quarters
R6 – PA. Port kicked 6 goals in the 1st quarter
R7 – Ess. Bombers kicked 6 goals in the 1st quarter
R8 – Car. Blues kicked 5 goals in the 1st quarter
R11 – Freo kicked 5 goals in the last quarter to draw the game
R12 – WB kicked 5 goals in each of the 2nd & last quarters
R14 – NM. Roos kicked 8 goals in the 1st quarter & 6 goals in the 2nd quarter
R19 – Hawks. Hawks kicked 5 goals in the 3rd quarter & 8 goals in the last quarter

IQ, Maynard & Moore have played every game. Oleg has played 12 games, Noble & Billy F have played 15 games. All of our defensive players have regressed significantly from last year’s form.

We have failed to score a goal in 8 quarters this season. In another 6 quarters we managed only one goal. It would be wrong to claim that the forward line’s impotency is solely due to injury. Because in 6 of the 8 quarters in which we failed to kick a goal & 4 quarters in which we only kicked 1, we had, Cox, Mihocek, McCreery, Hill, Elliott, Schultz in the team
  • Where do we go from here?
  • What type of players do we need to target? (with limited draft hand)
  • What players do we need to trade, delist or retire?
  • Do we trade a senior player in the hope of giving us an earlier option at the trade table?
  • What impact has the change of our line coaches had on our season?
  • Do we wrap some of our players in cotton wool for the season such as JDG, Elliott, Cox etc. to ensure they are fit and firing come pre-season
  • Do we give our borderline players a final chance to show something?

Naicos (24) was the only Pies player in top 10 possession winners today, and he was only good enough for 9th place…….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Harvey Harrison, too. He has had a great debut season and is a keeper. Has scored regularly and has had many goal assists. The only U22 player on our list better than him is Nick, albeit by a huge margin. I have hopes for DeMattia, Allan, Steene and Smit but that’s all. So our depth of youth is very poor - perhaps worst in the comp.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This feels a little reactionary

Beau
Quaynor
Long
Eyre
Kreuger
Jiath
De Mattia
McGuane coming in
Quaynor Jr coming in
Reef
Richards
Harrison
Steene
Smit

Like, it’s not all doom and gloom in terms of general youth (I know not all of the above are under 22)

It’s easy to be down on every player when we’re playing poorly but it’s a bit short sighted

I said before the season started that I had hoped we’d manage the older players through by giving them stints in the VFL to manage their bodies and also guide the VFL kids

Injuries didn’t really allow us to do this but I doubt we were going to anyway

Our kids just need games now. Consistent games.

Against West Coast when the side was predominantly VFL players we looked incredibly connected because those VFL players have played a lot of football together.

I think it’s time to pull the trigger now the season is over and get more of them playing together more at AFL level. They’ll be far more connected and desperate than the AFL regulars have been

You can only really judge these things after a few years (trades/drafting). I'll prefer to wait before I judge. Who knows how it plays out. Shoota could go on a coke binge b4 a big final while Ginni kicks 6 in a grand final or vice versa. One thing to ponder : Tommy McGuane just got touted by a draft analyst as a No. 1 pick, so even if we stuffed up our draft hand we're still getting a potential elite mid to partner Nick for years.

Really disappointing result and not sure where we go from here tbh. No trading out future firsts from now on unless it for a superstar player. Not much trade or draft capital to do much with either. At least we have mcguane coming next year who looks a ripper.

Do we bite the bullet and trade someone of value and get as much as we can now to start the rebuild in this years draft, but the question remains what will other clubs give us. Hopefully there is a way out and we can start getting some real quality into our side. As always go pies

Really disappointing result and not sure where we go from here tbh. No trading out future firsts from now on unless it for a superstar player. Not much trade or draft capital to do much with either. At least we have mcguane coming next year who looks a ripper.

Do we bite the bullet and trade someone of value and get as much as we can now to start the rebuild in this years draft, but the question remains what will other clubs give us. Hopefully there is a way out and we can start getting some real quality into our side. As always go pies

I don’t think we have a player we’d be genuinely willing to trade that anyone would want

I think we should free up cap space by offloading Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe and Checkers and go after some genuinely talented free agents. Like actual guns.

A forward, a mid and a defender

I don’t think we have a player we’d be genuinely willing to trade that anyone would want

I think we should free up cap space by offloading Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe and Checkers and go after some genuinely talented free agents. Like actual guns.

A forward, a mid and a defender
Yeah that would make sense but who? All the good ones this year all seem to be going elsewhere or have signed at there clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that would make sense but who? All the good ones this year all seem to be going elsewhere or have signed at there clubs.

I’d need to see the full list of free agents and restricted free agents

We have our 2025 1st? Surely we weren’t silly enough to trade that
Do not be surprised! Perhaps we we will - with Hine's overt approval - trade it away for sub 6 foot back pocket or half-back flanker. I actually have zero confidence in their drafting decisions based on the last 6 years. Goodnight & good luck.

This feels a little reactionary

Beau
Quaynor
Long
Eyre
Kreuger
Jiath
De Mattia
McGuane coming in
Quaynor Jr coming in
Reef
Richards
Harrison
Steene
Smit

Like, it’s not all doom and gloom in terms of general youth (I know not all of the above are under 22)

It’s easy to be down on every player when we’re playing poorly but it’s a bit short sighted

I said before the season started that I had hoped we’d manage the older players through by giving them stints in the VFL to manage their bodies and also guide the VFL kids

Injuries didn’t really allow us to do this but I doubt we were going to anyway

Our kids just need games now. Consistent games.

Against West Coast when the side was predominantly VFL players we looked incredibly connected because those VFL players have played a lot of football together.

I think it’s time to pull the trigger now the season is over and get more of them playing together more at AFL level. They’ll be far more connected and desperate than the AFL regulars have been
But where are the young & promising key position players coming through on the list? I do not see any!

He clocked 2.78 seconds in a 20 meter sprint. Usain Bolt's 20 meter time was 2.87 when he set the world record time of 9.69

Odd because that doesn’t seem to show out on the field

Anytime I’ve watched him attempt to sprint he’s looked legitimately slow. Like, one of the slowest on the list slow

Amongst all of Fly’s Kemala-esque post match presser, he said one key thing. We are very close to being a team of losers. A team that loses like losers.
Well.
Set the tone.
Remove players that don’t contribute to winning positions.
Next week and at the end of the year.
There is nothing better than franking your premiership.
Right now, we look a team that squeezed every last bit of blood out of a stone in 2023 and that we got lucky.
The players should be embarrassed for subjecting us to that standard of shite.
Why bother sitting in the cold and rain to be dished up that insipid shite?

Do not be surprised! Perhaps we we will - with Hine's overt approval - trade it away for sub 6 foot back pocket or half-back flanker. I actually have zero confidence in their drafting decisions based on the last 6 years. Goodnight & good luck.

Only the last 6?

What about the last 10 or 11?

Even our first rounders from 2012 aren’t at the club anymore

Grundy, Broomhead and Kennedy

They traded out a heap.

In the 12 drafts from 2010-21 - These are the only first round picks that the Cats took to the draft:

Billie Smedts pick 15
Jackson THurlow pick 16
Darcy Lang pick 16
Nakia Cockatoo pick 10,
Cooper stephens pick 16
Jordan Clark pick 15
Yeah, but that is what he said. They did trade, but for some pretty good players. Not like us.
What did they give up for Dangerfield? Cameron? I would be happy to give pick 6 if i could get the quality of those players.
They didn't give us pick 6 for Oliver Henry. We were lucky to get a second rounder.

We gave up 2 first rounders + for Treloar, then gave him away for baked beans.
We decided to give a second rounder to Sydney, for a rookie that they were just about to delist..
We gave away Ginnivan for peanuts.

SR, we have been really bad at trading. I mean, really bad. Sometimes i wish we had Dodoro in our club.

Anyway, we won the GF last year, and the last two years have been so good. Pitty we couldn't extend the good times a bit longer like other clubs seem to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back