Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not one to rage too much on the umps (Waterman kicks 4.1 and we sail home for example), but how is it possible to go from 8-1 frees in favour of us at 1/4 time to end up 16-17 in their favour?

The free count doesn't need to be even, but 8-1 is ridiculous. Then they basically pay 2:1 to even it up at the end. They are obviously being coached/informed at breaks on their numbers, which therefore begins to take the objectiveness out of their decision making, which means for certain times if the games there are 2 sets of rules in play.

But whatever, the AFL says the umpiring standard has never been better

No idea. After he got injured Sheezle he held onto Yeo's jumper at every stoppage and not once did he get a free against.

Do you love what Schofield has done yet ??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes and no. Said as much with 10 to go in the last, I like the fact that we’ve chased down a few leads for sure. Saints game still looms large to me, absolutely destroyed by a bottom four side and looked as bad as we ever did in the last few years.

Two wins is great, two wins against a non event away team in GC, and then North aren’t much to scream about, but you can only play who you play and we suck in Tassie so it is a big tick ultimately.

I’m reluctant still given his connection to our midfield over the last few years, and what we’ve served up, but he can only do what he can do in a short span as interim coach and you can only play who you play. The case for keeping him is hell of all lot stronger one month in.

If it were up to me I’d still go for an entirely fresh voice, but couldn’t complain if they backed him in after this month.

Yes and no. Said as much with 10 to go in the last, I like the fact that we’ve chased down a few leads for sure. Saints game still looms large to me, absolutely destroyed by a bottom four side and looked as bad as we ever did in the last few years.

Two wins is great, two wins against a non event away team in GC, and then North aren’t much to scream about, but you can only play who you play and we suck in Tassie so it is a big tick ultimately.

I’m reluctant still given his connection to our midfield over the last few years, and what we’ve served up, but he can only do what he can do in a short span as interim coach and you can only play who you play. The case for keeping him is hell of all lot stronger one month in.

If it were up to me I’d still go for an entirely fresh voice, but couldn’t complain if they backed him in after this month.

This is some bad bad stuff man. Gee. And coming from the captain of the assistant coaches have no impact of results crew too.

Its a disgrace that sort of shite is in the olympics
Almost as much of a disgrace as having to hear that f$&&ing song when I hit play on that sucker.

Being at the GC game last week and hearing the old one only reinforced just how bad it is.

A significantly large amount of Karnivool credits in the bank is the only thing stopping Ian Kenny from being publicly hung…

This is some bad bad stuff man. Gee. And coming from the captain of the assistant coaches have no impact of results crew too.
What about any of that was unfair, out of interest?

That his case is a hell of a lot stronger now than a month ago, or is the preference for a fresh voice who isn’t attached to the last two years an outlandish one?

Apologies, if this has already been covered.

Huge shout out to Tyrell Dewar, AKA Dua Lipa thanks to Dwayne Russell, in the 5th game of his career.
  • 10.5 Player rating - 9th highest for us today.
  • 10 disposals (6K & 4H) @ 90%.
  • 5 contested.
  • 257 metres gained - equal 8th wit TK.
  • 5 ground ball gets - equal 7th with Harley.
  • 3 clearances - equal 4th with Harley & Gaff.
  • 3 score launches - equal 2nd for us with TK.
  • 5 score involvments.
  • 22 pressure acts - 4th for us
Further to all of that, he is quite the sprinter too:
  • 1st for us at distance covered at speed (18km/h or higher) - 2.6km.
  • 1st for us in top speed - 32.4 km/h
  • 1st for us in total sprints (24km/h or faster) - 25 sprint efforts.
  • 1st for us in average speed in attack - 9.2km/h.

He was recently on the podcast and spoke about how he recognised the need to elevate his performance to succeed at the AFL level. He dedicated himself to a big off-season to enhance his prospects. Hopefully he can replicate this commitment in the upcoming off-season and go to another level.

He also contributes significantly to our NGA Academy by working closely with our kids. His involvement would provide an inspiring example for the kids, demonstrating the dedication and effort required to achieve excellence.

Still a long way to go with Tyrell, however, certainly on the right trajectory.

Coming from over 30 pts down in an away game was sensational and a great team effort..
Gov was a legend down back continually saving us ..
Allen was back to his best form , we have been waiting for it to all click ..3 goals in the 3 Rd term then 2 goals in the last term including a brilliant match winning snap ..
The green shoots Maric , Johnson and Dewar are developing well , Dewar’s snapped goal was really something to see ..

Neg - players wearing the wrong football boots and slipping over at crucial moments..More planning needed..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What about any of that was unfair, out of interest?

That his case is a hell of a lot stronger now than a month ago, or is the preference for a fresh voice who isn’t attached to the last two years an outlandish one?

You are giving hollow praise for the results he's had but bending over backwards to diminish two very very good wins that have been full of exactly the fight and character this club has been missing for the best part of 5 years. We have a guy sitting in the chair who has immediately addressed the number #1 area we needed fixing and your saying "well, unfortunately under Simpson he was the main reason the team was losing so I'd prefer an outsider." Definition of unfair really.

Edit: Its also time for you to admit that Mitchell was extremely influential in 2018, which just about everyone knows is true and is plain to see from where he has the Hawks right now with a deadset average list.

Apologies, if this has already been covered.

Huge shout out to Tyrell Dewar, AKA Dua Lipa thanks to Dwayne Russell, in the 5th game of his career.
  • 10.5 Player rating - 9th highest for us today.
  • 10 disposals (6K & 4H) @ 90%.
  • 5 contested.
  • 257 metres gained - equal 8th wit TK.
  • 5 ground ball gets - equal 7th with Harley.
  • 3 clearances - equal 4th with Harley & Gaff.
  • 3 score launches - equal 2nd for us with TK.
  • 5 score involvments.
  • 22 pressure acts - 4th for us
Further to all of that, he is quite the sprinter too:
  • 1st for us at distance covered at speed (18km/h or higher) - 2.6km.
  • 1st for us in top speed - 32.4 km/h
  • 1st for us in total sprints (24km/h or faster) - 25 sprint efforts.
  • 1st for us in average speed in attack - 9.2km/h.

He was recently on the podcast and spoke about how he recognised the need to elevate his performance to succeed at the AFL level. He dedicated himself to a big off-season to enhance his prospects. Hopefully he can replicate this commitment in the upcoming off-season and go to another level.

He also contributes significantly to our NGA Academy by working closely with our kids. His involvement would provide an inspiring example for the kids, demonstrating the dedication and effort required to achieve excellence.

Still a long way to go with Tyrell, however, certainly on the right trajectory.
It’s mind boggling we chose to play jones over him for a ten week stretch.

You are giving hollow praise for the results he's had but bending over backwards to diminish two very very good wins that have been full of exactly the fight and character this club has been missing for the best part of 5 years. We have a guy sitting in the chair who has immediately addressed the number #1 area we needed fixing and your saying "well, unfortunately under Simpson he was the main reason the team was losing so I'd prefer an outsider." Definition of unfair really.
He’s had two ticks, two really spirited efforts against far better oppo (derby and Lions game on super short notice) and one of the worst most listless performances against a bottom four side you’ll ever see. The fight and character were on display in our Freo and Melbourne wins too, against far better opposition, and we’re a correctly adjudicated HTB free kick against Yeo away from an even bigger comeback against a crab North side earlier in the year, but you can’t deny that the intent has been (largely) very very good under Schofield.

Putting it plainly, five games he’s had two ticks, two efforts that are probably worth a tick in total, and one cross. 3-1-1 in five games is a great return for a bloke thrust into the seat on short notice.

My preference is for someone who has had absolutely no connection to the club over recent years, because we’re an insular boys club who always assume we know best, and this is a great opportunity for fresh blood.

But, given what he’s put out there over the last month, I’d be a lot more enthused about his appointment today than I would have been a month ago. If he gets it, there’s no doubt it’s because he’s earned it with the cattle he’d be coaching next year. But my preference is still for an external assessment.

I don’t think that’s a particularly unfair stance.

Edit after yours: Of course Mitchell was influential, blind Freddy could see that and nobody has ever claimed he wasn’t. How many player interviews directly stating he was huge that year do we need as proof?

My stance is that the concept that Simmo was bad and it was all Mitchell (just like Simmo was bad and it was all Pyke in 2015, just like the Richmond board think Hardwick was bad because it was all Leppitsch) is farcical.

The “he’s the head coach, the buck stops with him” crowd also pushing the Sam Mitchell solo’d us to a flag line is hysterically hypocritical. Everyone plays their role. The head coach does the heavy lifting and also should be the one to face the music when things go south. It’s not a tough concept and battle lines don’t need to be drawn over it.

Simmo’s gone now and I hope our next head coach wins three flags in the next three years to really rub it in my face, boy I’d be flat about that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preference is for someone who has had absolutely no connection to the club over recent years, because we’re an insular boys club who always assume we know best, and this is a great opportunity for fresh blood.

But, given what he’s put out there over the last month, I’d be a lot more enthused about his appointment today than I would have been a month ago. If he gets it, there’s no doubt it’s because he’s earned it with the cattle he’d be coaching next year. But my preference is still for an external assessment.

I don’t think that’s a particularly unfair stance.

Look fair enough, good defence but I just think it's pretty dumb to rule a bloke out because he's worked during a bad period at the club. It's not an unfair position it's just a deeply flawed one.

So far as Mitchell and Pyke goes, I always like Simpson as a person but personally I think its about spot on what people say about Pyke them Mitchell being the difference for the two times we actually had good years. Thats just me though.

We should all agree though, that if Andrew Embley had been a better husband Adam Simpson would probably be one of the all time greats, with 5 plus premierships to his name. Thats the true villain.

Wonder if Schoey will find any positivity in his podcasts this week 🤣 two weeks of backing the Purps and pushing merch while the Eagles are locking up back to back wins.
If he continues this, we should probably just cut ties with him and let the Dockers employ him.
An appropriate amount of critism is fine but not to the point of sensationalism.
Karl Langdon despite being a Norf fan and working with us is respectful towards the club.

Last edited:
It’s almost a negative gaff is playing next week, what a way to go out that game would’ve been, just an incredibly gusty mark running back. That and darlings spoil were just absolutely clutch gamechanging moments.

I really hope we ask the afl for a please explain on that Cripps non-50m penalty, if you can enter the protected zone how the **** can you tackle a guy the the groin after he marks it… just appalling and even more embarrassing when it goes up the other end for a piss weak 50m not even the commentary team are willing to defend.

Fantastic win, a lot of huge efforts, I was really impressed with whoppers intent to move the ball forward and seeing his confidence grow. Keep it up young man.

Just really nice to see a lot of the younger boys have truely valuable contribution especially in a win.

Looking forward to next season after hopefully a big offseason into a young group committed to getting bigger, stronger, faster.

It’s almost a negative gaff is playing next week, what a way to go out that game would’ve been, just an incredibly gusty mark running back. That and darlings spoil were just absolutely clutch gamechanging moments.

I really hope we ask the afl for a please explain on that Cripps non-50m penalty, if you can enter the protected zone how the **** can you tackle a guy the the groin after he marks it… just appalling and even more embarrassing when it goes up the other end for a piss weak 50m not even the commentary team are willing to defend.

Fantastic win, a lot of huge efforts, I was really impressed with whoppers intent to move the ball forward and seeing his confidence grow. Keep it up young man.

Just really nice to see a lot of the younger boys have truely valuable contribution especially in a win.

Looking forward to next season after hopefully a big offseason into a young group committed to getting bigger, stronger, faster.
I guess next week he'll have to actually kick the winning goal

The sugar hit never lasts. WCE better build a clause in to sack after 1 year with no payout if they want to go down this route.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back