Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies, if this has already been covered.

Huge shout out to Tyrell Dewar, AKA Dua Lipa thanks to Dwayne Russell, in the 5th game of his career.
  • 10.5 Player rating - 9th highest for us today.
  • 10 disposals (6K & 4H) @ 90%.
  • 5 contested.
  • 257 metres gained - equal 8th wit TK.
  • 5 ground ball gets - equal 7th with Harley.
  • 3 clearances - equal 4th with Harley & Gaff.
  • 3 score launches - equal 2nd for us with TK.
  • 5 score involvments.
  • 22 pressure acts - 4th for us
Further to all of that, he is quite the sprinter too:
  • 1st for us at distance covered at speed (18km/h or higher) - 2.6km.
  • 1st for us in top speed - 32.4 km/h
  • 1st for us in total sprints (24km/h or faster) - 25 sprint efforts.
  • 1st for us in average speed in attack - 9.2km/h.

He was recently on the podcast and spoke about how he recognised the need to elevate his performance to succeed at the AFL level. He dedicated himself to a big off-season to enhance his prospects. Hopefully he can replicate this commitment in the upcoming off-season and go to another level.

He also contributes significantly to our NGA Academy by working closely with our kids. His involvement would provide an inspiring example for the kids, demonstrating the dedication and effort required to achieve excellence.

Still a long way to go with Tyrell, however, certainly on the right trajectory.

Dewar Lipa performing how we thought Brockman would

The sugar hit never lasts. WCE better build a clause in to sack after 1 year with no payout if they want to go down this route.

Its not often though that the guy who just happens to be an assistant at the club going so badly they sack the coach mid year, is actually a bloke who has arguably the best resume out of any of his direct competitors. It would be very west coast to rule a bloke out who's the best candidate on paper, and say to him what? "Well Jarrod you are a very impressive candidate, if only you'd never worked for us!"

gotta learn to use it a bit better but yeah has looked good in defense
He used it fine today, despite the narrative the commentators were trying to push.

I'd go:
3 - Allen (5 goals and standing up when needed is hard to go past)
2 - Gov
1 - Xerri
Nah not for me. Gov put in a massive 4 qtr shift and kept Larkey to a goal and consistently stopped forward thrusts and rebounded.
Allen could have kicked 10 and we would have lost without Gov today. He kept us in it.

A real positive is that we won despite playing some ordinary football. Plenty to improve on in terms of effort, skills and decision making.

Something that has struck me has been the mention of a 'simple message '. This was something that came up around about our Sydney game in Adelaide where we started a good run of games. It was mentioned a couple of times in press conferences. I think all the positioning, running patterns etc has just been too much for the players at times and has left us flat footed and indecisive, where we should have been getting the basics right. See ball get ball or get oppo with ball.

I'm impressed by Schofield I must say. He's added a bit of spine to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey usually kicks our arse so we rock up with one key defender.

Wild.
One of the great positives of the day. The absolute fraud Larkey, having not only done absolutely nothing all day but also letting his opponent be best on ground, lining up to seal it in the final moments, striking it, peeling away to uncork the pre planned celebration aaaaand…missing.

Not quite Ballantyne areas, but the closest I’ve seen in a while, and couldn’t have happened to a bigger flog.

I wouldn’t underestimate the benefit these late season wins will have on the group. Got ourselves away from the spoon and our younger crew are getting the chance to grow in their roles whilst being protected by our older boys. Getting some traction with our green shoots.
Simmo vs Mitchell debates aside, I really believe that the 2017 EF against Port was a huge reason why we were able to steady after the barrage by the Pies in 2018.

Different ends of the ladder and different goals, but I wonder if a purple patch at the end of the season is a nice springboard into the following year. Not just with a sugar hit win, but with the calibre or scratch and claw performance.

That said, we had a few gritty wins late last year and that amounted to pretty much **** all for the first month+ of this season…but a much younger group playing here than the North/Dogs wins last year.

Fantastic win, but we really didn’t help ourselves for a lot of that game. Our pressure around the ball and up forward was absolute rubbish for most of the game, and our forwards missed some very easy shots. We also didn’t seem to want to lead in the first half of the game. Our forwards were standing still and then wondering why the ball was getting bombed on their heads.

Having said that, it was an amazing fightback and I can’t believe we actually won that game because as others have said, in the last few years under Simmo we would’ve rolled over and lost by 10 goals.

So great to see some of the young guys like Trew, Ginbey, Harvey Johnston and Hall get given opportunities to show what they can do and making the most of it. I’ve been waiting for them to get opportunities and felt they were unfairly maligned by the previous coach and not given enough opportunity in their correct positions. If that’s because of Schofield then kudos to him.

All in all it’s a fantastic day especially when Fremantle loses as well. 😊

amazing we could get the win and score over 100 points ...with our lacks of disposals talk about efficiency

Gov our leading disposal getter 25

kelly 19. yeo 17 cole maric 16....reidy got 12

funny game isn't it ;)

Anybody that has questioned it has either never played footy or doesnt watch Gaff. He has NEVER shirked any contest that I have ever seen.
Bloke gives his all and will take punishment for his team every time it is required.
Absolutley. Despite his stature, Gaffy loves getting on the end of a hospital ball always has since day dot.

One of the great positives of the day. The absolute fraud Larkey, having not only done absolutely nothing all day but also letting his opponent be best on ground, lining up to seal it in the final moments, striking it, peeling away to uncork the pre planned celebration aaaaand…missing.

Not quite Ballantyne areas, but the closest I’ve seen in a while, and couldn’t have happened to a bigger flog.
Gresham has entered the chat...

Saw a better one in the Essendon vs Gold Coast game 🤣🤣🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back