Autopsy Swans got the job done winning against roos

Remove this Banner Ad

The last quarter was very poor. If we hope to win the flag then those sort of quarters should be unacceptable.
We got out to a 59 point lead, unbeatable, then in the last quarter we took our game winners off the park and sat them on the bench...

Lost rotations and opportunities for a rest, made sure we won the game and had no major injuries, but as a result leaked a few goals.

Team and coaches more concerned about winning, and having the players for next week against the pies.

Lose next week and percentage won't matter, will it?

Control what you can, let the rest take care of itself.

We won, did what we had to do... and will again next week imo!

Do other team boards have meltdowns after a win?

A big win today wasn’t securing top 2 or even top 4.

I’ll take it. We beat them comprehensively but I suppose if we beat them by a goal but kept them to 10 goals it would be more impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy with that. No team is on every week, no team is on every quarter. This dream of consistency is exactly that - a dream. We had a winning margin of 39 points and kicked 126 on a relative off day. That's maturity.

A few concerns:
  • Not a great time for Tom McCartin to have the worst game of his career, two weeks out from finals. You'd hope he will be able to brush it off and move on. But, games like this are a lesson in why Horse never rushes his young key defenders into senior footy (for all the Gould advocates.)
  • Hickey played an almost unforgivable game for mine. I have never seen so much burning of teammates by an individual ever in a game of footy. Ruckman winning clearances, don't care. Use your teammates and don't be selfish.
  • McInerney is a worry. He is so far from his best that it might be getting to the point where he could end up a problem.

The positives:
  • Hayward cracking in at any chance he gets, despite his lack of size which I still think is an issue for him.
  • Rowbottom was the standard-bearer when the game was on the line.
  • Clarke's decision-making and disposal actually got worse as the game went on IMO, which might actually be a good thing. He was more productive when the game was actually on, as opposed to in the second half when the heat had fizzled out of the contest.
  • Florent I thought had some nice plays.
  • Gulden literally learning in-match from his mistakes. Seems to need to stuff up the first tricky kick to nail the next one. It's why I think his delivery gets better as the games wear on.

Onto next week. I absolutely think we can beat Collingwood. Let's hope we do!

Last edited:

The last quarter was very poor. If we hope to win the flag then those sort of quarters should be unacceptable.

we switched off ... not great, but we stood up when we had to in the third quarter to put the game away
a lot of posters on this board need to get some perspective
first time round against this lot, deep into the last quarter we were actually in deep trouble ... completely different story today, yet some people are going on like we lost

we've played a few pressure games lately, so being off our best is not unexpected ... and far better it happen today, and we still get the job done comfortably, than happen next week
i'm happy to say fck percentage, winning is good enough, and we had that sewn up before we got to the last quarter
the results over the next two weeks will more than likely render percentage irrelevant
our aim is to just keep winning ... we accomplished that today
just too many on here seem to revel in any doom and gloom they can find

Basically its a simple equation... if we beat Collingwood in a tight one, our percentage will drop down anyway. I think its likely it will only be a 2-3 goal win at best, but happy to be wrong. Though the Dees will also have tough games coming home.

Just beat the Pies. Let % shake out at the end.

A solid win against Norff , unlike the match up earlier in the season.
Disappointing the Swans took the foot off the gas in the last quarter, but I am guessing they are looking at the bigger picture. Also the goal kicking yips seem to still be lingering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The commentators did also mention we started icing up guys on the bench in the final 5-10 minutes of the last quarter, which suggests keeping the team in-tact and prepared for next week was more of a priority to Horse than how much we won by.
Interesting 4 he took off as well. Mills, Parker, Papley and Franklin

We let them off the ropes at the end by putting our better players on the bench and stopping rotations.

Not concerned, North probably played their game of the year yet we saw them off (and pretty comfortably in the end).

Warner - Quickly becoming an absolute superstar.
Parker - Continuing his great form of recent weeks
McDonald - Did enough to stay in the side, was pleased when he ran back at the end
Hickey - Finding form at the right part of the year

Next week is the big one for us and we gave our players a rest in the last, would have happily accepted this at the start of the day.

Interesting 4 he took off as well. Mills, Parker, Papley and Franklin

Franklin - Body needs the rest
Mills - Has had injury issues before, could use the rest.
Papley - Most dynamic player, but is hamstring prone.
Parker - Maybe our most in-form player, will be crucial in the run in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans got the job done winning against roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back