Autopsy 1 point Heart stopper against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need a change in tactics for the last quarter? Maybe start with a slower pace & uncontested footy knowing the opposition will be coming at us hard in the initial burst. Do we address it with the sub? Imo someone who we can inject into the midfield for fresh legs & immediate impact. Matt Roberts or Stephens would be my pick. Win it at the bounce or create stoppages initially until we win possession of the footy then play it slower so opposition don't have speed on the ball. Something needs to change...just throwing up ideas
Our team just needs to be able respond better when the opposition turns up the heat. It's the inability to match our opposition's intensity when they take it up a notch.

The only way to counter that is to go harder than your opponent and make it difficult for them to make any inroads.

We've capitulated time and time again and let huge leads slip. It comes down to our mids wilting under intense pressure and being unable to stem the flow.

Our team just needs to be able respond better when the opposition turns up the heat. It's the inability to match our opposition's intensity when they take it up a notch.

The only way to counter that is to go harder than your opponent and make it difficult for them to make any inroads.

We've capitulated time and time again and let huge leads slip. It comes down to our mids wilting under intense pressure and being unable to stem the flow.
But we seem to be able to handle it when the opposition turns up the pressure against us throughout the rest of the game? We absorb pressure and then respond seemingly OK. That's how we get ourselves the leads we get. Then it all falls apart in the 4th quarter. Unless we genuinely believe that teams just decide to bring their best against us in 4th quarters only, I would say there's another, far more obvious reason for it happening so often...

But we seem to be able to handle it when the opposition turns up the pressure against us throughout the rest of the game? We absorb pressure and then respond seemingly OK. That's how we get ourselves the leads we get. Then it all falls apart in the 4th quarter. Unless we genuinely believe that teams just decide to bring their best against us in 4th quarters only, I would say there's another, far more obvious reason for it happening so often...
Imo it purely comes down to sports psychology. It's two sides going at each other, if one team continues to to go harder for longer they'll eventually break t he dam wall and get reward for effort.

As the team in the lead we needed to continue to do what was working, but also show that we can match whatever the opposition throws at us.

It's that last bit where we've faltered.

We need to be able to take the best the opposition can throw at us (even conceding a goal or two), but then we need to be able to beat them at the source and get the ball moving our way.

When our opponent has lifted their intensity, it has ended up being one way traffic for prolonged periods. And for the most part it's been the midfield.

With our clearances this year it's difficult for us to sustain the defensive effort for four quarters. In the fourth quarter we just get killed in the middle they get quick ball out and we are on the back foot. It's so much harder to lock the ball in around stoppages and although Hickey has got better over the last couple of games he isn't giving us the second efforts he used to and has less mobility. The midfield are not matching up on their opposition. It's been an issue for a good few years and not only just the last quarter.
Hopefully with the emergence of Sheldrick and Roberts we can address this more during the offseason.
Think we will just have to run with what we have this year.

Yes! Yes!
It's wonderful isn't it.
They took Dawson, who is yet to play a final.
We get a little extra help to make sure we play finals.

Fair to say this somewhat makes up for the 10 draft positions we lost for losing Dawson, who has become their star captain after 1 season.
We wanted pick 4. They gave us Melbourne's 2022 first round pick, which ended up being 14 & they have been laughing their heads off until that goal umpire & the AFL wiped it from their faces.

Yes, it was absolutely a goal. Yes they should have won.
They can celebrate mad Monday with their captain after next week's game.

henceforth to be known as the dawson square-up
tell any adelaide fans who want to carry on that this was the hidden clause in their shitty trade deal to get dawson ...

"As big a mistake as I can remember."

Yeah good onya Lloyd. Can you 'remember' 2007 when you stole a game from us and you were like "bad luck we deserve it." Two meters out of bounds.

Didn't hear the outrage then though did we? Probably cause we're 'just' Sydney?

Seriously. These media clowns can * off.

And listen to the commentary team justifying it. Particularly Blight. Disgraceful boys club as it always has been and always will be.

I remember that night. Completely heartbreaking. Almost as frustrating as Alessio stealing it at the end in that other nightmare of a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why was keys allowed to just waltz out from his set shot and casually snap that behind/goal anyway, nobody there to smother the play on.
Yes, I was just going post that. Fastest near player on the inside were the umpires set the perimeter, to charge and close down the space.

Another 'Leadership' failure. We fail simple things regularly for set plays.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry..but your read of this is slightly wrong - McCartin does not drop.

I agree there was no intent - but the scenario unfolded differently.

McCartin braced for contact because he thought McAdam was going to physically contest posession. McAdam lowered his body at the last second -

It was a stupid thing to do to draw the free - but of course looks like a McCartin charge if you don’t watch McAdam’s ‘drop’….and the fact that McAdam ran into Tom.

I’ve watched this three times - Tom is stationary at the point of contact…..and McAdam drops.
No need to apologise. If you re-read my post, you'll agree I never wrote that McCartin dropped. I stated that he lowered his body, which was the right thing to do when he expected contact from the smaller McAdam, who looked like he was about to bump shoulder to shoulder. I agree with you in regards to what happened next.

I'm not sure what Tom could have done differently. McCartin seemed to take appropriate steps to avoid a head high contact, lowering his body as he's expecting a bump, but seriously, WTF is he supposed to do when McAdam suddenly drops and presents his head? I've watched it many times over and I don't consider it was careless or high impact.

The action that is normally punished is when the offender raises his body or leaves the ground to raise his shoulder up to the head height of his opponent. In the AFL's eagerness to look like they're doing something to lessen head injuries (and to punish the Swans as a distraction for their clueless umpiring - in goals as well as on field, especially in Q4 and mostly going against the Swans), they are hanging McCartin for a crime he didn't commit. How typical of the AFL to respond to incompetence with yet more incompetence.

AFL - The league of Gormless Gentlemen.

Another 'Leadership' failure. We fail simple things regularly for set plays.
That and as I said in the game day thread, why are we so terrible at killing the ball when there is a set shot that doesn't make the distance or when the ball is in dispute in the defensive goal line?

I know our backline isn't tall but the lack of communication or anything seems apparent in the amount of goals we concede in these situations.

We've been punished like this for years
Sydney Swans. See, I think the word Sydney in our club's name is what draws the ire of Melbourne clubs and the Melbourne media. The mel-Bourne Indentity is one of being second best, the plain and dowdy sister of a glittering star or the little brother who is over-shadowed, unnoticed by the world. So periodically the AFL hit us with another mel-Bourne Ultimatum, which we tend to shrug off and just get on with finding a way to win. It's even worse for Adelaide, a city known for churches, cheap real-estate and pies floating in pea soup, where the locals define 'making it' as saving enough to move to Melbourne.

To all you crow eaters. Get over it. You only got to within a goal of us through awfully poor umpiring calls in your favour. Don't cry cheat when the Karma Fairy turns around and bites you on the ass.

That and as I said in the game day thread, why are we so terrible at killing the ball when there is a set shot that doesn't make the distance or when the ball is in dispute in the defensive goal line?

I know our backline isn't tall but the lack of communication or anything seems apparent in the amount of goals we concede in these situations.
Our backline is pretty good compared to most. And it's not like we've had a settled line-up this season. There's a lot going on under pressure. When the ball just keeps coming back in we should be asking why?

This has been a tough year. If we make finals, let alone win one, that'll be a win. Anything else will be a huge bonus. Personally I 'd be happy to see a Swans vs Giants GF, played at the Gabba. Leave the southern states out of it. Bad for them, great for the AFL if we want a truly national game

And listen to the commentary team justifying it. Particularly Blight. Disgraceful boys club as it always has been and always will be.

I remember that night. Completely heartbreaking. Almost as frustrating as Alessio stealing it at the end in that other nightmare of a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blight was a mouth. The Media are one-eyed. Always have been. In that 2007 game it wasn't like the Swans had just enjoyed a whole quarter of dodgy free kicks to get them back into a game they'd already lost, as Adelaide had. The southern states footy media are in meltdown about one mistake at the end of a whole quarter of mistakes that went the other way. Kudos to the one ump who tried to balance the ledger.

On a side note, I'd forgotten Mal Michael played for Essendon (as well as Collingwood and Brisbane). I'll never forget when he played for Collingwood against Plugger, who, perhapds tired of kicking yet enother huge bag of goals on Mal, decided to try a speccy on him. It was in his later (heavier) years. He just sort of heaved his heavy body (120kg) up on top of Mal Michael's back as if to say "F*&k it, I'm knackered from kicking so many goals. I'm just gonna sit here on my punching bag until the ball comes" It wasn't pretty. Mal sagged and staggered forward. Plugger wasn't exactly graceful, like an elephant mounting a donkey.

Blight was a mouth. The Media are one-eyed. Always have been. In that 2007 game it wasn't like the Swans had just enjoyed a whole quarter of dodgy free kicks to get them back into a game they'd already lost, as Adelaide had. The southern states footy media are in meltdown about one mistake at the end of a whole quarter of mistakes that went the other way. Kudos to the one ump who tried to balance the ledger.

On a side note, I'd forgotten Mal Michael played for Essendon (as well as Collingwood and Brisbane). I'll never forget when he played for Collingwood against Plugger, who, perhapds tired of kicking yet enother huge bag of goals on Mal, decided to try a speccy on him. It was in his later (heavier) years. He just sort of heaved his heavy body (120kg) up on top of Mal Michael's back as if to say "F*&k it, I'm knackered from kicking so many goals. I'm just gonna sit here on my punching bag until the ball comes" It wasn't pretty. Mal sagged and staggered forward. Plugger wasn't exactly graceful, like an elephant mounting a donkey.

i never had a problem listening to blight
he was a weird guy generally, lot of left-field thinking, mostly insightful and often amusing
and he loved us that wonderful night against geelong at the scg in the 2005 finals

In a frenzy since 3 am , can't sleep lol

I thought it would just be a couple of one eyed idiots, but these imbeciles wanting the result changed are everywhere.

Buckley last night saying the Crows should 'take it further'.

What exactly are these idiots proposing?! The AFL starts going through games and altering scores based on umpiring decisions.

It's the weirdest reaction I have ever seen to a bad decision.

I guess we will have to go back to the Geelong v Collingwood last friday week and take 2 goals off Jeremy Cameron. Twice he got goals when he was clearly out of bounds. What about the dissent from Collingwood players? That was a clear free kick which would have resulted in Cameron being on the goal line. But does that matter because it was after he took a mark that was out on the full?

Who gets to decide what is a bad decision and what is impacting the result of games?

Gil? Lawyers? Stephen Rowe?

Complete nonsense. It was a bad decision. There are bad decisions that impact games all the time. But we don't go back and start changing the scores retrospectively until this game apparently.

Last edited:
I love the ...it guaranteed sydney a finals spot

Yeah ok if that's the umpires aim why the heck would Gulden be called for a throw or Florent HTB etc to gift the crows goals?

I feel for this poor umpire , he made an error as do many officials every week

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 1 point Heart stopper against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back