Autopsy 2021 87 point win against Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

She brought it out the other day. "Buddy is strutting and the Suns are stuttering."

Like sorry Kelli, but you can't just add and remove syllables. That's not how rhyming works.

Still better than late-career Bruce, who was an absolute joke.

BT is still my favourite and I will die on that hill.

Imagine she was commentating that epic finish to the Brisbane/West Coast game? That would be forever be unwatchable.

Is it me or does she always seem to be commentating big moments for us? The Heeney mark is the most recent one but there have been a few where I just wish it was someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine she was commentating that epic finish to the Brisbane/West Coast game? That would be forever be unwatchable.

Is it me or does she always seem to be commentating big moments for us? The Heeney mark is the most recent one but there have been a few where I just wish it was someone else.

To be fair though I think that about literally every commentator who isn't Dennis.

Speed is the best commentator.

Daylight

More Daylight

Dusk

Night

Dawn

Daylight

Do this 1000 more times

Kelli Underwood

Eon

The others

Daylight

Basil

She speaks in catch phrases and I find it so awkward. It’s like she grew up listening to commentators in big moments and she applies that to every situation.

Her voice is her voice, it’s grating but can’t really change that. It’s her commentary style that is just poor.

So much this. The catch phrases after a goal are so cringy... "he's 5 star, he's box office"

It sounds so artificial.

I agree in that she's improved a bit though.

ohhh no no no no no no
bruce was a "special" kind of awful ... the simpering, the fawning, the endless kissing of quoits, the rampant smugness ...
OMG I just sat through two weeks of his awfulness with the Olympic track coverage. I didn’t have a problem when he called footy, but when he tries to create a “narrative” about an event which, when it all boils down, is only about who timed their run the best, it’s toe curling.

Honestly, commentating is in a really poor spot atm. Most of the expert commentary is good, from players like Hodge, but the moment to moment stuff is a lot harder to listen to. Most commentators are okay at the hype stuff.

Honestly, commentating is in a really poor spot atm. Most of the expert commentary is good, from players like Hodge, but the moment to moment stuff is a lot harder to listen to. Most commentators are okay at the hype stuff.
Only on TV. Radio play-by-play is really good but it is like the TV producers want everyone to lose brain cells before commentating

BT is still my favourite and I will die on that hill.
We agree on a lot, but polar opposites here. Give me Kelli Underwood any day over BT, cannot stand him.

As far as the voice goes, I mean, it's all relative. Not everyone can have the voice of Dennis Cometti. There's a wide variety in the tone and sharpness of vocals amongst the male commentary community, some I like, some I don't (none of it means they shouldn't be commentating). What's more important is the actual commentary. Yeah some of the catchphrases/soundbites were cringey (she doesn't need to be like everyone else), like they are from everyone generally, but what I appreciate about Kelli is most of the time it's purely business, and less of the sound effects e.g. "wowee" "wa-heyyy", distractions because someone said something "funny", or alpha male contests.

We all know as well, by far the best current commentator is one Anthony Hudson. Speed is great (also get to listen to him for A-League), Papalia is alright from memory, Jason Bennett on 7 is decent. I don't even mind Hamish McLachlan purely when doing play-by-play. I guess I see a trend in favouring commentators that didn't have AFL careers (this certainly doesn't carry over to JB though)... That said, Healy, Lyon, and to a lesser extent J Brown and Riewoldt I like as special comments.

Last edited:
Speed and Huddo are the best commentators.

Daylight

More Daylight

Dusk

Night

Dawn

Daylight

Do this 1000 more times

Kelli Underwood

Eon

The others

Daylight

Basil
Edited for accuracy.
Huddo is just great and listening to his magic call in 2005 is one of my greatest footy moments.

We agree on a lot, but polar opposites here. Give me Kelli Underwood any day over BT, cannot stand him.

As far as the voice goes, I mean, it's all relative. Not everyone can have the voice of Dennis Cometti. There's a wide variety in the tone and sharpness of vocals amongst the male commentary community, some I like, some I don't (none of it means they shouldn't be commentating). What's more important is the actual commentary. Yeah some of the catchphrases/soundbites were cringey (she doesn't need to be like everyone else), like they are from everyone generally, but what I appreciate about Kelli is most of the time it's purely business, and less of the sound effects e.g. "wowee" "wa-heyyy", distractions because someone said something "funny", or alpha male contests.

We all know as well, by far the best current commentator is one Anthony Hudson. Speed is great (also get to listen to him for A-League), Papalia is alright from memory, Jason Bennett on 7 is decent. I don't even mind Hamish McLachlan purely when doing play-by-play. I guess I see a trend in favouring commentators that didn't have AFL careers (this certainly doesn't carry over to JB though)... That said, Healy, Lyon, and to a lesser extent J Brown and Riewoldt I like as special comments.

See I find that even the better commentators today (Huddo, Speed etc) still say stupid shit and sound annoying at times. Once you come to terms with that inevitable truth, it's a lot easier to appreciate BT as he's the one commentator who is in on the joke and makes his stupidity part of his schtick.

Having said that, I get the feeling he'd be a giant arseh*le in real life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I find that even the better commentators today (Huddo, Speed etc) still say stupid sh*t and sound annoying at times. Once you come to terms with that inevitable truth, it's a lot easier to appreciate BT as he's the one commentator who is in on the joke and makes his stupidity part of his schtick.

BT hasn't been at his best the last two years imo. I agree, I've come to really enjoy him for his silliness but to me he's been less silly when he hasn't been live at the game. Being in a studio I'm sure makes it that much harder to be really invested in the emotional part of the game compared to being live.

I don't like the pronunciation of Huddo and BT.
Melican becomes Malican.
Jamie Elliott becomes Alliott.
Kelly becomes Kally.
Jonathon Brown is similar but not as pronounced.

Basil fills the air with white noise

agree on bennett, and i've said a few times i think riewoldt is potentially the best ex-player to go into the media since matthew lloyd ...

Melican becomes Malican.
Kelly becomes Kally.

taylor is an arrogant turd, does not give a toss about correct pronunciations, goes with what he deems correct, which mostly isn't ... and that's just one of many issues with him

Melican becomes Malican.
Kelly becomes Kally.

I honestly can't say I've noticed that with Huddo.

taylor is an arrogant turd, does not give a toss about correct pronunciations, goes with what he deems correct, which mostly isn't ... and that's just one of many issues with him

Basil is the human equivalent of tv static

Melican becomes Malican.
Kelly becomes Kally.

If someone just keeps pronouncing (or getting) a name wrong, it gets irritating. If it's their natural pronunciation that slips through in the heat of it, I'm less annoyed.

But then a majority of the country can't say 'graph', 'castle', 'dance' correctly, so maybe I'm just used to it. :D

If someone just keeps pronouncing (or getting) a name wrong, it gets irritating. If it's their natural pronunciation that slips through in the heat of it, I'm less annoyed.

But then a majority of the country can't say 'graph', 'castle', 'dance' correctly, so maybe I'm just used to it. :D
Depends whether you are from Perth or Sydney to determine which you consider "correct". Or Victoria for castle.

See I find that even the better commentators today (Huddo, Speed etc) still say stupid sh*t and sound annoying at times. Once you come to terms with that inevitable truth, it's a lot easier to appreciate BT as he's the one commentator who is in on the joke and makes his stupidity part of his schtick.

yes, because he's exactly that in the commentary box

like brayshaw and mclachlan ... they're just different versions of eddie mcguire ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2021 87 point win against Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back