List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
The AFL doesnt want to be giving a club assistance 2 years in a row, they had a lot of complaints after how they handled North. It wont be the same as what North got, if there is any priority picks theyll want it to be a one and done situation
I think most people thought the first assistants was the more accurate one. Get ready to go player/s in a trade, while still keeping their early picks to help with the now and future. The 2nd one everyone thought was way too much and when they just went to the draft with those picks, even more so because those players won’t have influence for them until they are already going well.

Time will tell I guess.

I do think it’s this year or never, if the 2 NGAs abs Charlie Banfield turn into first and 2nd round picks they will say that’s enough assistances I still think it’s very unlikely to get any help

Last edited:

Getting access to our NGA single handedly rules out an chance of a PP imo

I agree with some posters here duggan and Baker are probably parity and with the amount of holes in our list splitting our pic 3 for him wouldn't make sense

Should be a big focus on finding accumulation players that use the ball well this draft, no speculation or high ceiling types that are yet to come on for mine......

Thats the type Monocle picked for us in the mock draft running ATM.

Travagalia at 5 and Hynes at 23. Def / mid and a mid / frwd. Both can find the ball and hurt the opposition with quality use. 187cm and 199cm so not short.

No pick trading in this mock and it shows which clubs may split. North will split IMO. Too many mids around their pick and they are stacked could land 2 quality talls if they split.

Last edited:
Getting access to our NGA single handedly rules out an chance of a PP imo

I agree with some posters here duggan and Baker are probably parity and with the amount of holes in our list splitting our pic 3 for him wouldn't make sense
Why. The AFL has given access to everyone. Even top 4 teams who are not expansion clubs.

That doesnt address gifting top teams access when bottom teams are struggling to catch up. And this new set up likely sees early 2nd round picks get pushed out to 30 plus again.

Why. The AFL has given access to everyone. Even top 4 teams who are not expansion clubs.

That doesnt address gifting top teams access when bottom teams are struggling to catch up. And this new set up likely sees early 2nd round picks get pushed out to 30 plus again.
Because every man and their dog know west coast aren't a rabble their a powerhouse that have been under shit management (on and off the field) for a few too many years

Because every man and their dog know west coast aren't a rabble their a powerhouse that have been under shit management (on and off the field) for a few too many years
Relevance?

The win loss record for three plus years is looking as bad if not worse than North. That is a fact you can measure.

Our 2nd round picks for several drafts now have been diluted significantly providing finals teams with priority access to academy kids and father sons. That also can be clearly measured.

What you are saying is based on what exactly? Plenty have called us a rabble over the past three seasons. The worse team in AFL history. But as soon as we enter priority pick bad discussions everyone backflips and says......oh they arent that bad, they arent a rabble. Based on what measurement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relevance?

The win loss record for three plus years is looking as bad if not worse than North. That is a fact you can measure.

Our 2nd round picks for several drafts now have been diluted significantly providing finals teams with priority access to academy kids and father sons. That also can be clearly measured.

What you are saying is based on what exactly? Plenty have called us a rabble over the past three seasons. The worse team in AFL history. But as soon as we enter priority pick bad discussions everyone backflips and says......oh they arent that bad, they arent a rabble. Based on what measurement?
Agree

The argument that we're a well run business with a shitload of money is null and void when it comes to our eligibility for PP's IMO - yes we have a lot of money, but we're barred from using that directly towards improving on field performance.

Has Bo Allen at 4?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Here is his top 30 for those not wanting to go to X

1721360332603.png

Some major differences of note compared to Twomey (Cal normally gets better input from recruiters while Ed does more his own ranking

Luke Urquhart - Ed includes in top 20, nothing from Cal
Bo Allan at 4 and 10
Xavier Lindsay at 5 while Cal has him at 16
Harvey Langford at 14 while Cal has him at 4
Murphy Reid at 17 while Cal has him at 5

Interesting in dual Larke Medallists this year in Langford (4) and Lombard (7)

The Larke medallist since 2011 have been
Sanders
Ashcroft
Robertson
Walsh
Oscar
Graham
Schache
Petracca
Sheed
Whitfield
Coniglio

Not too many duds in that list.

Last edited:
Using the ladder predictions from the AFL.com crew, and factoring in a likely band 1 compensation for Saints with Battle, here is what the first round is predicted to look like:-

1721361214110.png

For the shape of the draft in 2024, the Freo picks of 7, 8 and 15 look extremely tempting.

I can see Richmond wanting to do something with pick 2 to get ahead of Norf with Trainor. If that is the case, I would take a deal of 7 and 8 for 2. If Freo give up 7 and 8 for Bolton and we swap 2 for 7 and 8 with Tigers, then they get their best mid and the best KPP in the draft.

7 and 8 would likely get us two of Lalor, Draper, Allan, Lindsay and Travaglia.

Tigers get Smillie or FOS plus Trainor

Freo get Bolton

Here is his top 30 for those not wanting to go to X

View attachment 2052117

Some major differences of note compared to Twomey (Cal normally gets better input from recruiters while Ed does more his own ranking

Luke Urquhart - Ed includes in top 20, nothing from Cal
Bo Allan at 4 and 10
Xavier Lindsay at 5 while Cal has him at 16
Harvey Langford at 14 while Cal has him at 4
Murphy Reid at 17 while Cal has him at 5

Interesting in dual Larke Medallists this year in Lindsay (5) and Lombard (7)

The Larke medallist since 2011 have been
Sanders
Ashcroft
Robertson
Walsh
Oscar
Graham
Schache
Petracca
Sheed
Whitfield
Coniglio

Not too many duds in that list.
Langford was larke medallist not Lindsay.

Love the Richmond/freo three way trade, think it no makes good sense all round.

Last edited:
Really think Baker would be a worthwhile investment, probably not round 1 pick but not far off.
Wouldn't take much out of his form the past month which has been way down on his usual output.
Earlier in the year he was more averaging 20+ disposals and 4/5 tackles and clearances. Now it is more around 10-12 possies 2-3 tackles and clearances. I think his mind is made up and he is moving on and Richmond seem to be just going through the motions, look at Dusty.

If he were to get to West coast, who by all reports is his preference, he would somewhat be rejuvenated and bring a bit of energy and high standards with him. He runs both ways and definitely not scared to get down and dirty. Having been with Richmond when they were at their peak he knows what it takes be a champion team and he would surely be coming here wanting West Coast to once again be a powerhouse.

There is more to an individual player than what they can do themselves on the field. Certain players drive high standards and commitment and the more players of that ilk you can have at a club the better.

Don't think he has been getting as much respect here as he was so thought I would do some tyre pumping.

Relevance?

The win/loss is irrelevant because that was the gauge once upon a time which benefited us well in 2001 and is now redundant.

North exhausted every option under the sun to make their club better and still got nowhere I assume that's why the afl were accomodating. You're asking a panel to give us a free hit at the draft because we messed up key areas of our department when we can't even get a honest home and away fixture, I just can't see it happening

A fair counterpoint and one the vAFL can't really explain, so they go down the path of shrugging their shoulders and because I say so.....

7 and 8 would likely get us two of Lalor, Draper, Allan, Lindsay and Travaglia

Assuming the collective agreement would say x2 of them is better than FOS/Smillie? Although I really can't see how Draper would last to 7.

**** me dead if he does, that would be a miracle.

Really think Baker would be a worthwhile investment, probably not round 1 pick but not far off.
Wouldn't take much out of his form the past month which has been way down on his usual output.
Earlier in the year he was more averaging 20+ disposals and 4/5 tackles and clearances. Now it is more around 10-12 possies 2-3 tackles and clearances. I think his mind is made up and he is moving on and Richmond seem to be just going through the motions, look at Dusty.

If he were to get to West coast, who by all reports is his preference, he would somewhat be rejuvenated and bring a bit of energy and high standards with him. He runs both ways and definitely not scared to get down and dirty. Having been with Richmond when they were at their peak he knows what it takes be a champion team and he would surely be coming here wanting West Coast to once again be a powerhouse.

There is more to an individual player than what they can do themselves on the field. Certain players drive high standards and commitment and the more players of that ilk you can have at a club the better.

Don't think he has been getting as much respect here as he was so thought I would do some tyre pumping.
Only if he was cheap or cheapish because Baker isn’t exceptional as a player and presumably he’s at his ceiling.

That said, he was apparently in the mix for captaincy at Richmond - an area where we’re not overly strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back