List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Super impressive performance by Jagga in his VFL debut. You couldn't have picked a worse fixture to debut at this level if you tried. Away at Williamstown, an oval famed for its howling gales, on a dirty evening in the wet and cold with the rain blowing in sideways. Jagga ended up with a game high 31 possessions and was able to be a strong influence at stoppage winning clearances against the bigger VFL bodies which had been a concern voiced by some. His disposals weren't always clean, but in conditions like this taking territory was the name of the game.

Handball gets podcast. Rolled out that English year to date has not won a hit out contest head to head.

Given he rucks solo this is pretty concerning especially against clubs that roll two rucks.

No idea on last night's game

*he won

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Afl stats say that winning the hit outs mean little in the context of the game .

English is like another tall midfielder after the ruck battle who takes lots of marks especially when you have to go long down the line .

He is way better than Flynn or bailey

16 touches and 50 hit outs last week I believe.

Our proclaimed best ruckman in his draft year is struggling to even get a run in the ruck and touches it about three times a match.

With Reidy dominating the WAFL also there's a bit of a bottle neck at Freo for that position. Which is also why he's a smart player to target.
And that's all you'll get from Max Knob. He literally does nothing else. The giraffe comparisons are spot on.
(I'm sure Lahlan Blakiston, the 26 yr old in his 9th WAFL league game was a real challenge to overcome)

Barnett had the most complete game and athleticism to succeed from that 2022 draft besides Madden who was academy bound. Was never going to be an early lock because of his lack of physicality, but should turn out as a good enough player. I don't know what he is going to do by spending half of his life in the goal square.

There are plenty of ruck options floating around to develop if we choose. Eg. Jamieson should have been gone 2 years ago which could almost be the time needed for a long shot to come online as a viable option. Instead we have never taken that opportunity and still will delist Jamieson.

Jagga reminds me of a young Trent Cotchin

2R x 2 and Evans is very much a slow burn but big high ceiling. We don’t have to get screwed over, we assign it a value of pick 2 and if someone is prepared to pay that then great. If not, we hang on to the pick but I think Freo and GCS would both be very interested.
Sorry but if anyone puts up a pick inside 40 for Evans they can have him .

The only reason why he was in the u18s team is because he is part of our academy and we requested it . His performance no way justified his selection

There are better players even in the Perth colts team who didn't get a look in .

Heard they call him slammer because he just slams it on the boot

If you go SEN podcast and the Victorian Sports day with Cornes and Gerard Healey.

Go to Tuesday's episode where Daniel Horne from champion data is on and he goes in depth about the 2 types of ruckman. Those not good at tao outs and those that are in regard to impact.

The three that have the highest impact arent great at Tapouts and the three best at Tapouts are struggling to have impact.

Most impactfull
Gawn
? Can't remember
English

The ruckman that can do both are the unicorn and this is where Gerard and Horne lament Nicnats influence on the game.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry but if anyone puts up a pick inside 40 for Evans they can have him .

The only reason why he was in the u18s team is because he is part of our academy and we requested it . His performance no way justified his selection

There are better players even in the Perth colts team who didn't get a look in .

Heard they call him slammer because he just slams it on the boot
Banfield and WW are the 2 x 2Rs I was referring to, Evans is the slow burn. I don’t expect him to get a bid before 40.

The other two both looked good and not out of place at the champs.

Banfield and WW are the 2 x 2Rs I was referring to, Evans is the slow burn. I don’t expect him to get a bid before 40.

Wouldn't it be good to have an early first rounder next year and then a bunch of late picks ?

Getting our top pick before being locked into others .

Or have that first for warner .

Now the afl is going to introduce a more costly system to match bids, 2025 on apparently, the concern is that Banfield and WW have an outstanding year and shoot up the draft board. Time to hide them away.

Bailey Williams gets two more added at the start of this year? Who’s responsible for that? The bloke has only played the odd decent game when he seems angry and desperate, why give him (and others )the luxury of cruising along knowing they have years on their contract.

Who is going to raid us for these types?

Contracts have weighed us down, both players and coaches. Be ruthless !

Adopting a friends, families and flags motto into a high pressure, supposedly ruthless professional sporting comp was never going to end well.

Can’t see Real Madrid shafting “Hala Madrid” (come on Madrid, nothing else) for our motto anytime soon.

The player who i think could come in and impact from day 1 is sheldrik.

Cant get a game due to Sydney having a stacked midfield but dominates the VFL .

Another pre season and he could explode .

I would rather him than garcia , Baker, daves or dev .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Ryan was a very good player… he is now lucky to even get picked. He can barely raise a jog, has no second efforts and out side Social
Media clips can’t kick goals anymore..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lucky to get picked? In our side? Ryan is one player who looks an actual threat with ball in hand, even if yesterday wasn’t his best.

I am in the camp of trade Ryan if we can get anything decent for him. And, I don’t usually mind your glass half full is really an empty glass approach. But, I suspect this is what you were doing just before this post.

the chappelle show tyrone biggums GIF

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF
dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

Watching the Hawks and Cats and their likely trajectories I wonder if Smith might be rethinking the Cats and leaning towards the Hawks. If we got English at band 1 compo that would give the Dogs pick 8 (Hawks 1R for Smith) and 11 (Band 1 English compo) according to my ladder predictor.

I wonder if they’d swap pick 8, 11, F1 and Garcia for pick 2/3 and Barrass.

Wouldn't it be good to have an early first rounder next year and then a bunch of late picks ?

Getting our top pick before being locked into others .

Or have that first for warner .
It would but if someone is prepared to pay the value of pick 2 for picks this year I’d take it.

Now the afl is going to introduce a more costly system to match bids, 2025 on apparently, the concern is that Banfield and WW have an outstanding year and shoot up the draft board. Time to hide them away.

I would be getting them both HJs (as customers not franchisees) and telling them to spend the year kicking on their non preferred foot.

I’ve watched a reasonable amount of his games and so this is simply my view on him and happy if others disagree.

His short kicking goes alright as in anything 25m or under he makes good decisions and hits a leading player up quite well. It’s once he has to start to hit targets over this range that it becomes an issue. His kick doesn’t have any real depth or penetration to it.

His one wood and he’s elite in this area is his hands. Both in terms of gathering the ball where he is just so clean and his decision making and use by hands. He has an uncanny ability to be able to pounce on the loose ball first and be exceptionally clean.

However he’s not a metres gained type player he’s an elite accumulator. (death by 1000 cuts).

Plenty of people have mentioned his lack of body size but it appears as if he has passed his first test against men. (*I haven’t seen the game just the stat sheet.) It will be another step up in size when going to AFL level and there will be concerns over whether his body will be able to stand up to the physical nature of playing as an inside mid.

Has a nice burst of speed off the mark but in terms of straight line pace he’s average.
He doesn’t have the high end pace of say other smaller mids in the likes of Butters, Rozzee, Merritt or McKercher for example.

When played in any other position has genuinely looked average. He is a little one dimensional in the way he plays.

Now I personally think he makes it at AFL level. My question on him is do you use a top 3 pick on an accumulator in this day and age or are there better options?

He rightly deserves to be in the conversation.
I could be wrong here but sounds kinda like a Parish?

It would but if someone is prepared to pay the value of pick 2 for picks this year I’d take it.
I don't think this is the year teams will want to push picks into the future . Looks like a stacked draft up to pick 60s

Top 8 to 20 looks very even the 20 to 35 is even as well .

I don't think this is the year teams will want to push picks into the future . Looks like a stacked draft up to pick 60s

Top 8 to 20 looks very even the 20 to 35 is even as well .
GCS don’t need picks this year, they need picks for their academy players next year. Freo need a good pick next year for Warner or worst case there’s a lot of good WA talent compared to this year. They will also be tight for list spots this year so consolidating their picks makes sense.

In saying that, just about every other club will want top 20 picks this year.

Adopting a friends, families and flags motto into a high pressure, supposedly ruthless professional sporting comp was never going to end well.

Can’t see Real Madrid shafting “Hala Madrid” (come on Madrid, nothing else) for our motto anytime soon.
It ended in a flag?

Only seven teams have won one since 2013, eight since 2005.

Last edited:
Watching the Hawks and Cats and their likely trajectories I wonder if Smith might be rethinking the Cats and leaning towards the Hawks. If we got English at band 1 compo that would give the Dogs pick 8 (Hawks 1R for Smith) and 11 (Band 1 English compo) according to my ladder predictor.

I wonder if they’d swap pick 8, 11, F1 and Garcia for pick 2/3 and Barrass.

Pick 2 for 8 and 11 is similar to what we did in the past.

F1 2025 (8-18) and Garcia for barrass is fair for us if it's 8 and favours dogs the higher up the ladder.

Overall though if your the dogs you've lost smith English Garcia and F1 and gained pick 2 and Barrass

VFL/SANFL/WAFL is a nice checkbox however I have generally found out not a great guide for the future.
(Eg Sonsie had 24 and 2 goals on VFL debut)

Players tend to be just sent out to play, with no opposition focus and things like that.
Let's be very clear on one point though. You can't diminish Smith's output yesterday whilst still rating Draper's SANFL form. Either Smith's performance is impressive or, if not, neither is Draper's.
Smith has outperformed Draper so far at every single level this year.
That doesn't mean that he'll be the better player, however, there must be consistency with how we analyse the output from these prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back