List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
A tough game for the Panthers and a tough game for Sid Draper, the first SANFL game this year in which he's struggled to have an impact. He appeared to be put off his game at center bounce early by the bigger and more experienced Glenelg mids that pushed him off his run at the ball. As a result he never really got going, and was eventually moved out of the middle to play off a forward flank in the second half, which starved him of opportunities with Glenelg dominating territory. He still managed one sequence where he burst clear and broke the lines with elite pace and agility before dishing off to create a goal for his teammate.

If Bailey put on 5kgs and spent a full preseason knowing hes going to be a ruckman he wont get bodied like he does, hes still got the body shape of a key forward

I think this is key. He's adamant that he's a forward and I believe has been training with the forwards in previous preseasons.

Needs to accept that his role at the WCE is as a ruck (or no role at all) and train full time for the role.

Anyone know when the exit meeting start? Assuming tomorrow is mad Monday will we start seeing delistings Wednesday?

Basically cos we were too busy chasing a pie in the sky in Tim English. If we got in his ear we would have had a good chance
How the hell would you know?

You spend your time slagging off at the list team and pretend you have insight and expertise when in fact you are the master of the rear vision mirror and a want to be member of the ministry of nice outcomes.

You spend your time slagging off at the list team and pretend you have insight and expertise when in fact you are the master of the rear vision mirror and a want to be member of the ministry of nice outcomes.
Outage for the sake of outage. You don’t think we made Tim English a contract offer ?

I think this is key. He's adamant that he's a forward and I believe has been training with the forwards in previous preseasons.

Needs to accept that his role at the WCE is as a ruck (or no role at all) and train full time for the role.

Full agreement here

Bailey isn’t a forward/ruck and even if he was Jack Williams is significantly better in that role. So that experiment with Bailey as a forward needs to end

If he plays it’s as our ruckman and is competing directly with Flynn for that spot. Let them go H2H over preseason to win the spot

Posters bagging the shit out of him then thinking he has any trade value are deluded. If he’s as shit as some here think, and there’s evidence to support that tbh, then he’s not going to have any suitors offering a decent trade pick

With Barnett not coming on at all as a ruck, I can understand the desire to find another competent ruck but it may just not be an option. It’s clearly why we were after English

Get Bailey in the gym this offseason and sit him down with hours and hours of Tom Dekoning footage as someone to model his game on

We spent too long trying to sweet talk English, we could have spent that time turning Moyle's ear.

But we'd have needed to offer him millions.

But we only need an average ruck, there's a few others we could look at.

It's pretty simple really, dunno what Pyke's playing at tbh.

We spent too long trying to sweet talk English, we could have spent that time turning Moyle's ear.

But we'd have needed to offer him millions.

But we only need an average ruck, there's a few others we could look at.

It's pretty simple really, dunno what Pyke's playing at tbh.
Literally do anything and everything is my statement here. If you don’t think our ruck situation is a number 1 priority I suggest you watch Xerris game vs us one more time

Well Hutchinson went ok yesterday but I'm assuming we drafted him to play midfield and not in the forward line

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hutch was drafted as any position from HF to HB defending on where he fit. It was too high a talent level and rate of improvement to ignore. I don't think anyone saw his potential ability as an inside player. His athletic talent and size is amazing but it's the head on his shoulders that is the elite quality. He just needs a couple of preseasons and consistent training and play through the midfield to get there.

Xerri is a horrendous disposer of the ball as well. Bailey can be an average ruck in the future but he needs to train like a ruck as CountryLad said. He needs to put on 5+, potentially 10kg of muscle and redistribute his key mass areas and train solely as a ruck. He also needs to work on the defensive side of his game, particularly once at that point using his frame to help protect the mids and open play.

WCE are so incredibly short on developed inside mids who are AFL level something has to be done at trade. Yeo has lost most of his burst as well as some speed which was to be expected. Kelly was never an inside mid and shouldn't be played there. As an inside mid at least 50% of games it's arguable whether he is AFL quality.

I have no issues in spending up on getting established players who can play inside and particularly inside and out as people are right. Currently our inside midfield bats to 3 and one of them was a first year 18/19 year old.

Literally do anything and everything is my statement here. If you don’t think our ruck situation is a number 1 priority I suggest you watch Xerris game vs us one more time
We arent going to get someone like Xerri.

Any significant upgrade on our ruck is going to cost us picks that we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We arent going to get someone like Xerri.

Any significant upgrade on our ruck is going to cost us picks that we need.
Hahaha I know that. I’m saying watch how he destroyed us completely. Pittonet got 20 possessions and 8 clearances against us and people think we should just clap and ignore this. We gotta stop fix this ASAP

Do something like try to get Flynn fit?

Teach our kids to rove to the opposition rucks?

Pick another cheap option off the merry go round?

If you think our ruck situation is our number 1 priority, I suggest you go back and watch our entire season one more time.

Also I worry that Barnett is a wingman in an oversized ruckmans body. Hopefully he can show something down back.

I still don't think Archer Reid is a forward. He could make it as a forward but I think he could be a great key back.
I agree. Big preseason for him. He has to play somewhere and down back will be our deficiency.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hutch was drafted as any position from HF to HB defending on where he fit. It was too high a talent level and rate of improvement to ignore. I don't think anyone saw his potential ability as an inside player. His athletic talent and size is amazing but it's the head on his shoulders that is the elite quality. He just needs a couple of preseasons and consistent training and play through the midfield to get there.

Xerri is a horrendous disposer of the ball as well. Bailey can be an average ruck in the future but he needs to train like a ruck as CountryLad said. He needs to put on 5+, potentially 10kg of muscle and redistribute his key mass areas and train solely as a ruck. He also needs to work on the defensive side of his game, particularly once at that point using his frame to help protect the mids and open play.

WCE are so incredibly short on developed inside mids who are AFL level something has to be done at trade. Yeo has lost most of his burst as well as some speed which was to be expected. Kelly was never an inside mid and shouldn't be played there. As an inside mid at least 50% of games it's arguable whether he is AFL quality.

I have no issues in spending up on getting established players who can play inside and particularly inside and out as people are right. Currently our inside midfield bats to 3 and one of them was a first year 18/19 year old.

Shake the **** out of Peatling’s tree please

Seems like a very good fit for us that is a realistic target

1st-4th yr players

Should be good
Reid
Ginbey
Hough
JWilliams
Hewett**

Hopeful of being good
Maric
Hutch
Long
A.Reid
Dewar
HJ

Jury is very much out
Hall
Culley
Chesser
Bazzo
Brockman

Strike out
Barnett
Burgeil
Trew, LEdwards (may be 5th yr)
Agree with this.

If bazzo is in the jury's out list, then Hewett should very much be on there too.

Do something like try to get Flynn fit?

Teach our kids to rove to the opposition rucks?

Pick another cheap option off the merry go round?

If you think our ruck situation is our number 1 priority, I suggest you go back and watch our entire season one more time.
If we had....

Mcgluggage
Neale
Ashcroft
Dunkley
Berry
Etal

....the ruck situation wouldnt be an issue.

Everyone he needs to cool the jets on our desperation for a ruck and your willingness to spend draft capital on one, when the reality is we need mids of all persuasions.

We need another inside bull.
We need a balanced in/out mid
We need 2 wingman
We need elite half back flankers who can run and carry and not turn the ball over

And...we need a coaching panel that can educate the mid group the craft of roving the ruck contest regardless of which ruckman wins the tap.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our ruck situation is not our number 1 priority due to 1) needing more quality midfielders and 2) lack of available options. It needs to be addressed but it is not our number 1 priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back