Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s going to be a big ask. Hawks are flying.
Surprised crows faves at 1.75 (Horks 2.1)

With our now many quality injuries and Rankine out, their near leagues best form and confidence, this game and Cats away seem to be our hardest gigs for the remainder of the year (asumes Swans won’t go full bore last round)

Hard to see us winning IMO

Lots of forced changes this week. I would not play anyone who is less than 100% fit. It is still less than 12 months since Murray did his acl. I would give him a couple of weeks off and consider putting him in cotton wool until next season. No need to rush back Worrell and Hamill, give them a week in the SANFL to find some touch.

Out - Murray, Butts, Dawson, Smith* and Himmelberg
In - Borlase, Walker, Jones, Curtin, Schoenberg

Bond. Borlase. Hinge

Michalanney. Keane. Nankervis

Dowling. Soligo. Sholl

Keays. Walker. Rachele

Cook. Fogarty. Thilthorpe

O’Brien
Laird
Taylor

Jones, Curtin, Berry, Schoenberg, Murphy.

I would like to give Ryan a taste but with 5 inexperienced players in our back six, we would be setting him up for failure. Chayce can be our 7th defender and Curtin plays a mixture of wing and inside mid. We can give Billy more time as an inside mid which is where I believe his future lies. Cook plays a mixture of forward and wing.

*Let’s call it managed 🙄.

Or just bring Borlase in to play back, and replace Himmelberg with Walker…

Forgot about Borlase! Also forgot Walker didn't play! Was up in the Whitsundays having an awesome time, now I'm home and grumpy.

I wonder if we're capable of two independent thoughts?

Murray is a key part of our future, is coming off an ACL, had a major scare last week.

Butts is out for the season.

Can we treat those as two independent events? Or will Butts' unavailability bleed into our thinking with our management of Murray?

Hawks only have 2 key position players on Chol and Dear, I think Keane to Chol and Borlase to Dear.

I would bring in Walker and Borlase for those 2.

Then on the replacement of Dawson and the question of Murphy, Smith and Himmelberg.

Bringing in Curtin for Dawson makes sense. Himmelberg the only other at risk if we feel we are too top heavy and so Jones for Himmelberg as an option.

Edwards, Schoey, Ryan lower down.
Then there is the risk of Nick's going back to McHenry!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks only have 2 key position players on Chol and Dear, I think Keane to Chol and Borlase to Dear.

I would bring in Walker and Borlase for those 2.

Then on the replacement of Dawson and the question of Murphy, Smith and Himmelberg.

Bringing in Curtin for Dawson makes sense. Himmelberg the only other at risk if we feel we are too top heavy and so Jones for Himmelberg as an option.

Edwards, Schoey, Ryan lower down.
Then there is the risk of Nick's going back to McHenry!!
They can also swing Sicily down there. I guess Hinge could probably take him but that's not ideal for us. If wooz is right to go I'd roll the dice on him.

Throw Berg down back and bring T Murray in.

Ryan for Smith

Curtin for Murphy

No idea how to fill all the other spots
Have you watched Berg play as a defender in the SANFL? He made Big Billy Frampton look like a combination of Dustin Fletcher and Steve Silvagni in comparison.

Last edited:
Keays in trouble for his tackle on Caldwell? He'll cop some from Christian, then it'll be up to us to appeal at the tribunal and then appeals board.

In: Borlase, Worrell, Tex, Curtin, Ryan, Jones, Cook (into 22), Hamill*
Out: Murray, Butts, Dawson (inj.), Keays (susp.) Smith, Himmelberg, Murphy*

Murphy out for Hamill if Hamill's ready to go.

EDIT: Forgot Dawson
There was nothing in the keays tackle. BT trying to influence the tribunal with his crows hate.

Here's my suggested changes:
  • Butts out is an obvious one; Borlase in is pretty like for like.
  • Murray out (take absolutely no chances with him - he's a key pillar of the team for the next decade); Walker comes in to give us maximum firepower up front and in recognition that the Hakws are not tall up forward so we don't need too many KPDs. Not sure if he's available but Worrell is too important to rush back.
  • Dawson out; Curtin in...you know it makes sense.

Defensive match-ups:
  • Keane on Chol is a nice match-up...should be able to match him for agility and height.
  • Borlase taking Dear gives James every chance to perform well...covers him for size and they're both pretty inexperienced so you'd hope to keep him to 1-2 goals max. and limited impact.
  • Bond on Watson would also be a good test for Bond...he did such a good job on Higgins first up and I felt small defender was the right slot for him. Was a bit surprised he pushed him up the ground to be a full-on tagger with Merrett which was understandably a struggle. Hoping he can lockdown on Watson and again not let him be a three-goal matchwinner.
  • Michalanney on Breust. I think this is the key matchup and for the Hawks to kick a winning score they'll need Breust to kick multiple goals.
  • Nankervis on Ginnivan. Like Breust I think this is critical and so I think we need one of our best on him and I just don't trust Smith to get the job done.
  • I'd be keeping Himmelberg in the team to continue to protect TT from having to do ruck duties. Given that - and with Walker coming back in - Berg becomes the swingman doing 2nd ruck, filling in down back if Keane/Borlase need a rest and allowing us to stretch the Hawks up forward if we can.
  • Let the kids have the run of the centre square - start with Soligo, Berry and Taylor and see how we go. If we don't get smashed in the middle and they don't walk it out of our forward line on rebound then I have some confidence that we can kick a winning score and their forward line is not that intimidating.
Team:

FF: Murphy - Walker - Thilthorpe
HF: Keays - Fogarty - Rachele
C: Curtin - Soligo - Sholl
FOLL: O'Brien - Berry - Taylor
HB: Hinge - Keane - Nankervis
FB: Bond - Borlase - Michalanney
INT: Smith - Dowling - Laird - Himmelberg
SUB: Cook

I'm coming around to the idea of playing a tall side this week. Need to try something vs the hawks who are very quick which is a weakness of ours. Just do an early sub if it isn't working. Also means they are forced to play a clearly hampered Sicily in defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Back