Autopsy Statement made Against Collingwood 27 point winners

Remove this Banner Ad

Is THAT what all those extra chins are for? Like rows of sharks' teeth.

haha ... yeah, the afl's own horror movie
it is hard to cop collingwood people criticising swans fans for booing that little blond guy knowing fathead ed's lead role in what became the anti-goodes campaign out of victoria ...
and yet there's a whole bunch of them (not just c'wood fans) who still rationalise the goodes booing ...

Not a fan of what went down, honestly think most of the crowd didn't realise he was injured. But, does Thomas understand the irony of what he saying? He's basically saying we're numphies, yet the crowd was educated enough to be across the wider AFL issue of a specific player with a reputation for staging. Maybe you are the numphy, Dale?
Agree - also too the director & producers in the OB Van need to take some responsibility. They panned on Ginivan once, the boos happened. So cameraman told to get Ginnivin in shot again. Media snakes that they are got a reaction and went back for more - 3 times I think knowing full well something would come of it. but to finally hear Whately last night say that we are all responsible (ie the media) was interesting. As it was the media who shouted the loudest about ginnivans style of play, so much so that the rules were changed. then they back down over his mental health issues. It’s a messy situation that’s for sure. Like Ginnivin or not, he’s human like the rest of us.

Geez Hypno. You must be near my vintage. I saw Dragon at Selinas around that time.
selinas was our go to on a Friday night after work, then go to Rino’s pizzeria In Arden st on they way to friends place - all plastered of course. it was circa 1983- oh to be that young girl again. Now I’m just an old boiler!! And next day get cab home to the Shire, it only cost about $15 back then!!!

Geez Hypno. You must be near my vintage. I saw Dragon at Selinas around that time.

saw a few bands there ... flaming hands, violent femmes, new order ... but it was a trek up from the gong so required either a designated driver or a place to crash, coz from memory selinas went past the time of last train home

OK, I just rewatched the first part of the match and feel that I need to weigh in on the Ginnivan narrative as well.

First of all, Ginnivan had 7 touches for the match before he went off. The first 6 touches were not booed, so something happened at the 7th touch to start it.

1. In the first quarter, our own serial stager (Papley) drops his knees in a tackle and draws a high tackle for which he is not rewarded. Fair enough - that sort of thing shouldn't be rewarded and it looks like the umpires are going to be aware to that sort of thing for the match. This is great news for both sides.

2. Ginnivan receives a high tackle from Paddy and raises his right shoulder, making it even higher. The umpire blows his whistle and rules it in G's favour, thereby rewarding a player for doing exactly what he said he does to get free kicks. It goes against what we saw in the Papley non-decision and frustrates the fans. This is where the booing starts. I would argue that if it was Elliott (or another forward) who received the free there would be booing but it would have been forgotten in the next play. However, and I repeat, Ginnivan has been on record saying that this is exactly what he does to draw free kicks so when it happens again then the crowd expresses frustration.

3. Ginnivan kicks the goal and then JOGS off to the boundary. At the ground the crowd would have seen a normal rotation of a forward after they kicked a goal, but on TV we see him motion towards his hamstring and walk to the bench - the crowd would have been unaware of this, so the next time he is shown on the big screen while he is on the bench the crowd boos. It is not because he is injured, as they are unaware at this stage.

Anyway, notwithstanding that brain-donors can buy tickets to the match just as easily as the rest of us, there were probably some people who were just going to boo Ginnivan anyway - but, I emphasise once more, they didn't for the first 6 possessions.

As a Swans supporter, my own personal position is that I don't usually boo players as it isn't in my personality. Unless it's Dawson, of course. And furthermore, as a Swans supporter I have a lot of sensitivity about players being booed for perceived staging as it may degenerate and be used to hide something more sinister. Just my opinion and others who buy their own tickets have the right to do what they want as long as it is socially acceptable.

3. Ginnivan kicks the goal and then JOGS off to the boundary. At the ground the crowd would have seen a normal rotation of a forward after they kicked a goal, but on TV we see him motion towards his hamstring and walk to the bench - the crowd would have been unaware of this, so the next time he is shown on the big screen while he is on the bench the crowd boos. It is not because he is injured, as they are unaware at this stage.
Just a small thing but the SCG Big screens get the same feed as the TV so they got to see him go off and get checked out as well as us at home

Just a small thing but the SCG Big screens get the same feed as the TV so they got to see him go off and get checked out as well as us at home
Fair enough, so they would have had to have glanced up at the screen at that time instead of looking at the players on the field. As I said, there are always a considerable number of brain-donors in every crowd.

+ he was wearing a jacket and sitting on the back bench.

obvious he was subbed out.

I didn't think it was malicious in its intent (the booing), just a reponse to him getting (another) goal from a free kick and the narrative around Ginnivan by all clubs at the moment.

+ he was wearing a jacket and sitting on the back bench.

obvious he was subbed out.

I didn't think it was malicious in its intent (the booing), just a reponse to him getting (another) goal from a free kick and the narrative around Ginnivan by all clubs at the moment.
I liked the way he smiled when the booing was on. The game needs villains.
I don't like his signature move, but its up to the AFL and the umpires to sort it out. AFL are always late to the party and reactionary especially to public opinion. They don't like being embarrassed. But they always move late. No integrity in AFL. Just reactionary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the way he smiled when the booing was on. The game needs villains.
I don't like his signature move, but its up to the AFL and the umpires to sort it out. AFL are always late to the party and reactionary especially to public opinion. They don't like being embarrassed. But they always move late. No integrity in AFL. Just reactionary.
Apparently the smile is the advice his therapist gave him to "battle through" it

Can't believe Hypno doesn't like INXS.

What a pity...
hugely disappointing live that night at selinas, never liked hutchence, thought they were all posers, couldn't stand their lyrics and thought their music was a mess of wishy-washy pop funk
i know it's almost un-australian to say such things ...
but my younger brothers loved them, played them a lot ...

but on a side note, they're my girlfriend's fave aussie band, it was her i took to see them in 83 ... we went our separate ways for 37 years ... and found each other again
and we still can't stand each other's music

and i'm still waiting for the thread policeman himself to yell at us all to get off his lawn

hugely disappointing live that night at selinas, never liked hutchence, thought they were all posers, couldn't stand their lyrics and thought their music was a mess of wishy-washy pop funk
i know it's almost un-australian to say such things ...
but my younger brothers loved them, played them a lot ...

but on a side note, they're my girlfriend's fave aussie band, it was her i took to see them in 83 ... we went our separate ways for 37 years ... and found each other again
and we still can't stand each other's music

and i'm still waiting for the thread policeman himself to yell at us all to get off his lawn
I'm late to the party but one thing I realised is that to me the true worthiness or credibility of a bands music is proved if it is REGULARLY played at major sporting events.
ACDC-yes. Queen-yes. Australian Crawl-Errol:)-yes

I'm late to the party but one thing I realised is that to me the true worthiness or credibility of a bands music is proved if it is REGULARLY played at major sporting events.
ACDC-yes. Queen-yes. Australian Crawl-Errol:)-yes
Um, sorry, then you've just made a case for Neil Diamond.

Um, sorry, then you've just made a case for Neil Diamond.

ha ... one night very close to christmas 84 (i think) mates and i had been to see (from memory) public image ltd supported by the johnnys at shellharbour workers club
somehow we managed to get a lift back with a girl we'd gone to school with (who was there under sufferance with her boyfriend), and we spent the entire trip home (20-25 mins) singing sweet caroline over and over in the crowded back seat ...
the girl hadn't liked us much at school ... and i'm guessing still doesn't

I had a painful loudmouth Swans fan next to me (yes, we do have them) and every time he boomed out Ginnivan's name he pronounced it "Jinnivan". Is that some clever reference, or was he as big a dope as I feared?
I'm going the bigger dope option...

yes, well ... i did once ... selinas, july 1983 ... that was near enough ... never again
My god, I'd forgotton Selina's... platforms, satin pants and big hair!

I was probably there...

saw a few bands there ... flaming hands, violent femmes, new order ... but it was a trek up from the gong so required either a designated driver or a place to crash, coz from memory selinas went past the time of last train home
Oof yeah. There was this New Years Eve night there 1986, Crowded House, Noiseworks & OMD. I'd a large amount of smuggled in ouzo that night so that last one is a bit fuzzy.

that may be so, but most of us are watching the footy, not the big screen...

Perhaps it's done differently in Melbourne? Do you got to the game and then sit watching the big screen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Statement made Against Collingwood 27 point winners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back